Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/22 22:25:14 UTC

GSoC hbase-mailbox final status

Hello everybody,

I have been busy today and didn't have time to finish all the work so
now there are still 6 failing integration tests out of 291. I hope to
solve them quick. In the meantime I just committed the code that I
wish to send to GSoC. I hope it's not too late.

The last hour modifications include:
- removed all System.out.printlns used for debugging.
- some refactoring to make code more clear when dealing with flags;
- switched to deleting content instead of deleting tables and
recreating them which caused a major improvement regarding test time.
Now integration tests finish in 2 minutes, instead of 50. This was
very unexpected, but pleasant.
- probably other improvements that I forgot to mention.

Eric told me about the surprise and I'm very happy. I wish to take
this opportunity to thank him. He was very patient and very helpful. I
couldn't have done it with out him. The same goes to Norman and of
course Robert. You are all great and I wish you the best. I hope to
meet you soon (Vancouver maybe if not sooner). In the future I hope to
improve the project I started and expand a little into James, maybe
package James for Debian (by end of winter).

Thanks a lot for the support and great time. It was an incredible
experience which I won't forget.

Sincerely,
--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com/

Re: GSoC hbase-mailbox final status

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
Hi Ioan,

On 22/08/11 22:25, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have been busy today and didn't have time to finish all the work so
> now there are still 6 failing integration tests out of 291. I hope to
> solve them quick. In the meantime I just committed the code that I
> wish to send to GSoC. I hope it's not too late.

On http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2011, code
submit is for 30 Augustus, you've still got plenty of time.
There is the evaluation form to submit for 26/8. No doubt my evaluation
on your work will be excellent.

> The last hour modifications include:
> - removed all System.out.printlns used for debugging.
> - some refactoring to make code more clear when dealing with flags;
> - switched to deleting content instead of deleting tables and
> recreating them which caused a major improvement regarding test time.
> Now integration tests finish in 2 minutes, instead of 50. This was
> very unexpected, but pleasant.
> - probably other improvements that I forgot to mention.

Great!

> Eric told me about the surprise and I'm very happy. I wish to take
> this opportunity to thank him. He was very patient and very helpful. I
> couldn't have done it with out him. The same goes to Norman and of
> course Robert. You are all great and I wish you the best. I hope to
> meet you soon (Vancouver maybe if not sooner). In the future I hope to
> improve the project I started and expand a little into James, maybe
> package James for Debian (by end of winter).

It was a real pleasure to work with you and see how you tackled this
down. I hope we will stay in contact and certainly have some drinks in
Vancouver.

> Thanks a lot for the support and great time. It was an incredible
> experience which I won't forget.

Same here :)

--
Eric
http://about.echarles.net

Re: GSoC hbase-mailbox final status

Posted by Eric Charles <er...@apache.org>.
(2nd try, first didn't succeed)
Hi Ioan,

On 22/08/11 22:25, Ioan Eugen Stan wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have been busy today and didn't have time to finish all the work so
> now there are still 6 failing integration tests out of 291. I hope to
> solve them quick. In the meantime I just committed the code that I
> wish to send to GSoC. I hope it's not too late.

 From http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2011, code
submit begins on 30 Agustus.  Evaluation form must be submitted latest
on 26 Augustus. No doubt my evaluation on your work will be excellent.

> The last hour modifications include:
> - removed all System.out.printlns used for debugging.
> - some refactoring to make code more clear when dealing with flags;
> - switched to deleting content instead of deleting tables and
> recreating them which caused a major improvement regarding test time.
> Now integration tests finish in 2 minutes, instead of 50. This was
> very unexpected, but pleasant.
> - probably other improvements that I forgot to mention.

Great!

> Eric told me about the surprise and I'm very happy. I wish to take
> this opportunity to thank him. He was very patient and very helpful. I
> couldn't have done it with out him. The same goes to Norman and of
> course Robert. You are all great and I wish you the best. I hope to
> meet you soon (Vancouver maybe if not sooner). In the future I hope to
> improve the project I started and expand a little into James, maybe
> package James for Debian (by end of winter).

I hope we will stay in contact, and also have some drinks and more
experience sharing in Vancouver ;)

--
Eric
http://about.echarles.net