Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2020/05/20 12:35:17 UTC

resumed connections

Hi,

Is there a way to check how many connections have been resumed whenever the user sees the "connectivity" notice on the lower part of the screen?
Or even when the session is interrupted , and the user clicks back on the same connection and resumes it?

I'm not sure I can identify the first case easily from the logs.

For starters, the guacd log messages don't easily show the relationship between an LDAP logged-in user and it's connection to a particular RDP host.
All I can see that shows the username is something like:

Parameter "sftp-username" omitted. Using default value of xxx

In any case, is there a way to find out how many guacd to RDP connections have suffered "reconnects" or significant delays?

In short, some users are complaining that they see way too often the Guacamole warning that the connection is slow, sometimes even triggering the "reconnect after 15 seconds window". However, I must say that I seldom see this warning, and it also seems that most of the other users don't either.
I'm just trying to document/prove that it is probably an issue on the client's side and not on the server.

Regards,

Vieri

Re: resumed connections

Posted by Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Wednesday, May 20, 2020, 6:07:07 PM GMT+2, Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org> wrote:

>> In short, some users are complaining that they see way too often the Guacamole warning that the connection is slow, sometimes even triggering the "reconnect after 15 seconds
>> window". However, I must say that I seldom see this warning, and it also seems that most of the other users don't either.
>> I'm just trying to document/prove that it is probably an issue on the client's side and not on the server.
>
> My initial suggestion would be to make sure that both guacd and the web application are logging at the DEBUG level:
>
> http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#webapp-logging
> http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#guacd.conf
>
> This may display error messages that provide more useful detail regarding these events.

Thanks, Nick.
I already set both log levels to "debug".

The only thing I've noticed is that whenever the user sees a "reconnect after 15 seconds" message then guacd's log does register a new RDP connection attempt (even though it is not clearly associated to the LDAP username -- I can only get an indirect hint).

Tomcat's log is clearer in the sense that I can see this kind of  log entries:

09:07:47.036 [https-openssl-apr-8443-exec-130] DEBUG o.a.g.r.auth.AuthenticationService - Login was successful for user "me".
09:07:51.853 [https-openssl-apr-8443-exec-147] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "me" connected to connection "PC1561".
09:07:58.087 [https-openssl-apr-8443-exec-145] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "me" disconnected from connection "PC1561". Duration: 6234 milliseconds
09:08:13.340 [https-openssl-apr-8443-exec-125] INFO  o.a.g.tunnel.TunnelRequestService - User "me" connected to connection "PC1561".

So this seems to clear up one of the two states I've mentioned above.

I'm unable to find a hint in the server logs as to the client message saying that the Guacamole connection is slow.

I'll keep searching.

Thanks,

Vieri

Re: resumed connections

Posted by Nick Couchman <vn...@apache.org>.
On Wed, May 20, 2020 at 8:35 AM Vieri <re...@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a way to check how many connections have been resumed whenever
> the user sees the "connectivity" notice on the lower part of the screen?
> Or even when the session is interrupted , and the user clicks back on the
> same connection and resumes it?
>
> I'm not sure I can identify the first case easily from the logs.
>
> For starters, the guacd log messages don't easily show the relationship
> between an LDAP logged-in user and it's connection to a particular RDP host.
> All I can see that shows the username is something like:
>
> Parameter "sftp-username" omitted. Using default value of xxx
>
> In any case, is there a way to find out how many guacd to RDP connections
> have suffered "reconnects" or significant delays?
>
> In short, some users are complaining that they see way too often the
> Guacamole warning that the connection is slow, sometimes even triggering
> the "reconnect after 15 seconds window". However, I must say that I seldom
> see this warning, and it also seems that most of the other users don't
> either.
> I'm just trying to document/prove that it is probably an issue on the
> client's side and not on the server.

My initial suggestion would be to make sure that both guacd and the web
application are logging at the DEBUG level:

http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#webapp-logging
http://guacamole.apache.org/doc/gug/configuring-guacamole.html#guacd.conf

This may display error messages that provide more useful detail regarding
these events.

-Nick