Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Ali Sadik Kumlali <as...@yahoo.com> on 2006/12/21 14:23:15 UTC

[Axis2][Rampart] What are the differences between X509KeyIdentifier and SKIKeyIdentifier?

Hi folks,

I have many clients sending messages signed with their own certificates. So, I stored their public certificates in a keystore. After;
  - Looking x509-token-profile-1.0 spec[1]
  - Reading the related mail[2]
  - Reading the "Secure Message Exchanges with Multiple Users" article in WS20[3]

still need to understand what the differences are between X509KeyIdentifier and SKIKeyIdentifier?

Both of them were accepted by the service without any change at the server side. At client side, on the other hand, only change I made was setting <signatureKeyIdentifier> in axis2.xml to either of X509KeyIdentifier or SKIKeyIdentifier. I examined the SOAP headers for both and found a little difference[4].

In this point some questions come to my mind:
1) Which one should I use at the client side?

2) Can we say one is more compatible(or widely used) than the other?

3) Can we say one is more secure than the other?

4) Should I consider other signatureKeyIdentifier types (DirectReference, IssuerSerial, Thumbprint)?
5) Should I just get a sleep and read all the docs again? :)

Regards,

Ali Sadik Kumlali

[1] http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-x509-token-profile-1.0.pdf
[2] http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/ws-wss4j-dev/200607.mbox/%3c559c463d0607172159n3fb7e361k29498d0499fc2bf@mail.gmail.com%3e
[3] http://www.wso2.net/tutorials/rampart/java/2006/09/06/sec-msg-exchg
[4]

X509KeyIdentifier:
------------------

<wsse:KeyIdentifier
  EncodingType="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-soap-message-security-1.0#Base64Binary";
  ValueType="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-x509-token-profile-1.0#X509v3";>
  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
</wsse:KeyIdentifier>

SKIKeyIdentifier:
-----------------
  ValueType="http://docs.oasis-open.org/wss/2004/01/oasis-200401-wss-x509-token-profile-1.0#X509SubjectKeyIdentifier";>

Re: [Axis2][Rampart] What are the differences between X509KeyIdentifier and SKIKeyIdentifier?

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi Paul,

On 1/3/07, Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Ruchith
>
> From your description above, it seems like in the case of
> X509KeyIdentifier and DirectReference the actual cert is included in
> the message and in the case of SKIKeyIdentifier, IssuerSerial and
> ThumbPrint, the cert needs to be in the server's keystore or LDAP.
>
> I think I can see that SKIKeyIdentifier, IssuerSerial and ThumbPrint
> are just three different ways of looking up the certificate in the
> store. Am I right?

Yes

> However, I don't understand the difference between X509KeyIdentifier
> and DirectReference. Can you explain that please!?

X509KeyIdentifier :

This is the case where a SecurityTokenRefernce uses a
wsse:KeyIdentifier element to refer to a key.

DirectReference :

This is where a SecurityTokenRefernce uses a "wsse:Reference" element
to refer to a security token.

Please see Sections 7.2 and 7.3 of [1]

Thanks,
Ruchith

[1] https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/webservices/wss4j/trunk/specs/wss-v1.1-spec-os-SOAPMessageSecurity.pdf

www.ruchith.org
www.wso2.org

Re: [Axis2][Rampart] What are the differences between X509KeyIdentifier and SKIKeyIdentifier?

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
Ruchith

> [...]

> >   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

Paul Fremantle

http://bloglines.com/blog/paulfremantle
paul@wso2.com

Re: [Axis2][Rampart] What are the differences between X509KeyIdentifier and SKIKeyIdentifier?

Posted by Ruchith Fernando <ru...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

www.ruchith.org
www.wso2.org