Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com> on 2004/04/28 07:36:28 UTC

Velocity website intro

I believe a revised "What is Velocity" up top on the website above the
release/news, would help introduce folks to Velocity and what the
sub-projects are all about.

Here's my suggestion:
---------------
Velocity is a simple to use Java-based template engine that renders data
from plain Java objects to html, text, xml, etc. The template syntax and
rendering engine are both easy to understand and quick to learn and
implement.

Programmers can focus on writing functional code, and in parallel, Web
Designers can directly modify templates to create attractive sites.
Model-View-Control (MVC) separation can be strongly enforced because
templates do not contain "code". Or, at the programmers discretion "tools"
can be made available in the template for more direct access to data.

Anakia and DVSL use Velocity for "easier than XSLT" transformations of XML.
And the VelocityTools sub-project contains extensions and "glue" aimed at
solving common web and non-web applications. For example, GenericTools
provide Date/Number formatting, Math operations, and more. VelocityView
provides a time-tested servlet which can render *.vm files in web
applications. Finally, VelocityStruts builds upon this foundation to give
Struts developers a robust and easy-to-implement alternative to JSP.

RE: Velocity website intro

Posted by Mike Curwen <gb...@gb-im.com>.

100% agreement.  Depending of course, on when the author downloaded
Velocity, and also on whether he thought Tools sucked...  by giving
Tools more prominence, you can avoid this:

RE: Velocity website intro

Posted by Tim Colson <tc...@cisco.com>.

> Your description jumps right into the web app uses of it.
Okay, I hear ya.  Although I would argue that it "steps anxiously" into web
app uses rather than "jump". <grin>

My main goal: update the existing blurb (which is pretty good really) to
include the Velocity Tools. A lot of recent list traffic is about topics
that may already be part of Tools -- but people do not seem to know that.

How about this revision which includes some text copied from the current
blurb?
Velocity is a simple yet powerful Java-based template engine that renders
data from plain Java objects to text, xml, email, SQL, PostScript, HTML etc.
The template syntax and rendering engine are both easy to understand and
quick to learn and implement.

Velocity capabilities reach well beyond the realm of the web (ex. xdoclet,
middlegen, Intellij etc.) to generally enable programmers to focus on
writing functional code, while in parallel, template designers can directly
modify templates to create attractive output. In webapps, Model-View-Control
(MVC) separation can be strongly enforced because templates do not contain
"code". Or, at the programmers discretion "tools" can be made available in
the template for more direct access to data.

VelocityTools is a sub-project which contains extensions aimed at solving
common web and non-web problems. For example, GenericTools provide
Date/Number formatting, Math operations, and more. VelocityView provides a
time-tested servlet which can render *.vm files in web applications.
Finally, VelocityStruts builds upon this foundation to give Struts
developers a robust and easy-to-implement alternative to JSP. Additional
non-web examples are Anakia and DVSL which use Velocity for "easier than
XSLT" transformations of XML.

Re: Velocity website intro

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Your description jumps right into the web app uses of it.  I find the
real joy of Velocity being that it is a general purpose templating
engine.  I suggest listing off the numerous ways it is used.  Here are
some projects that uses it: Middlegen, VPP, Megg - none of these use it
in any way related to the web.  I personally use it as a nested
"Snippet" component (as a taglib in my Struts days) in Tapestry to
allow clients to keep headers/footers/legalese/instructions as Velocity
templates in the database; so while web-related it is not my "View"
per-se.

	Erik

Re: Velocity website intro

Posted by Claude Brisson <cl...@renegat.net>.
Nice text, the only critic I have is that it concludes with Struts and JSP.
Do you think either has a real future ?
;-)

CloD