Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM> on 2006/01/21 05:59:48 UTC

[VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

This is now a real vote for the release of JDO 2 beta.

Here's how to test the jdo 2.0-beta staging release.

1. Download the TCK source release from http://www.apache.org/~clr/
downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-src-20_Jan_2006.zip.

2. Unzip the release into a directory, hereinafter called <dist>.

3. Change to the <dist> directory: cd <dist>

4. The release depends on artifacts that are only available on the
staging release area, so you need to edit the maven location from
which the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of maven.xml in the
project.properties file with the maven.remote.repo property, and add
"http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven" to the ibiblio and jpox
urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday evening.
Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT build and
rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.

5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
directory for the testing of the release.

6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many of
the steps therein as you like.

7. If you run maven runtck.jdori from the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta
directory, you should expect 4 or 5 errors and 4 or 5 failures in
1152 JUnit tests.

8. If you like, you can also check out the source distributions of
the api20, core20, and enhancer20. These are also in the http://
www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/ area for
staging.

Please send feedback to jdo-dev@db.apache.org.

Thanks,

Craig

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
> This is now a real vote for the release of JDO 2 beta.

+1

--
Andy

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
> The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday evening.
> Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT build and
> rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.

JPOX Core/Enhancer 1.1.0-beta-6 are now released.
You can get them from SourceForge:
http://www.sf.net/projects/jpox/

or from JPOX's Maven repo:
http://www.jpox.org/downloads/maven/

--
Andy

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by er...@jpox.org.
+1. the TCK is running good

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michael Watzek <mw...@spree.de>.
+1.

Total tests run: 1154. Failures: 4, Errors: 4.
4 of 48 configurations failed.

Regards,
Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Just for clarity:

This vote is to release the JDO 2 beta that consists of:

JDO 2.0 beta API jar and source (javax.jdo package)
JDO 2.0 beta core jar and source (org.apache.jdo package)
JDO 2.0 beta enhancer jar and source (org.apache.jdo package)
JDO 2.0 beta TCK source (org.apache.jdo package)

These artifacts are considered unstable and beta quality level.

The jar and source artifacts will be published on Apache internal web
sites and pushed to ibiblio and mirror sites.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
I agree with Michael and Michelle that the proposed JDO2 beta bits
are fatally flawed and need to be respun.

We need to fix the missing build.properties and fix the RunRules.html
in order to have people test the IUT. Without these fixes there can
be minimum testing of the tck functionality.

I'll post a new version as soon as I can get onto a public network.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Michelle,

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Michael,

Comments below...

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Michelle,

Issue with commons-httpclient?

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Maveners,

The latest Maven 1.0.2 has a problem when using these directions:

Find the line of maven.xml in the project.properties file with the
maven.remote.repo property, and add "http://www.apache.org/~clr/
downloads/maven" to the ibiblio and jpox urls.

What happens is that www.apache.org/~clr is redirected to
people.apache.org and this redirection is not resolved by the
httpclient used by Maven.

Are there any plans to update the code or the version of the jar file
used in Maven? Would you like more information or should I file a bug?

Regards,

Craig

Background:

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Maveners,

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
> FYI. Maven (1.0), or the associated plugin, is probably using "httputils"
> with a version that doesn't understand HTTP redirects. The same broken
> functionality has been noticed on the Maven "SourceForge" plugin (when
> SourceForge decided to add redirecting into their upload URLs).

That should have said "commons-httpclient" and not httputils.

--
Andy

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Andy Jefferson <an...@jpox.org>.
> I noticed inside a browser http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven is
> automatically redirected to people.apache.org, so it results in the
> address you described below.

FYI. Maven (1.0), or the associated plugin, is probably using "httputils" with

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Michelle,

interesting!

I noticed inside a browser http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven is
automatically redirected to people.apache.org, so it results in the
address you described below. So can we publish the people.apache.org
address to be used with maven?

Regards Michael

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi,

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Craig,

Re: Test instructions for Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Michael,

On Jan 21, 2006, at 12:01 PM, Michael Bouschen wrote:

> Hi Craig,
>
> +1 for the released version.
>
> The distribution is running good, I tested it with the SNAPSHOT
> release of JPOX as you described below.
> However, I'm having problems with downloading the jdo2-beta jars
> from the maven repository, please see below ...
>
>>> 4. The release depends on artifacts that are only available on
>>> the staging release area, so you need to edit the maven location
>>> from which the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of
>>> maven.xml in the project.properties file with the
>>> maven.remote.repo property, and add
>>
> What do you mean with maven.xml here? The project.properties in
> jdo2-tck-2.0-beta has the property maven.remote.repo.

Of course you are right. [The test information needs to be put onto a
wiki and maintained. This was an oversight on my part.]

>>> www.apache.org/%7Eclr/downloads/maven>" to the ibiblio and jpox
>>> urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday
>>> evening. Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT
>>> build and rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.
>>
> I added the above to the maven.remote.repo property. But I'm having
> problems resolving the dependencies via maven, I get the following
> error message:
> Attempting to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
> Error retrieving artifact from [ http://www.apache.org/~clr/
> downloads/maven/javax.jdo/jars/jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar]: java.
> io.IOException: Unknown error downloading; status code was: 302
> WARNING: Failed to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
>
> However, I could download the jars manually using the above url. So
> I really do not know why I could not download it via maven.

This is mysterious. I get similar results:

Attempting to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
Error retrieving artifact from [ http://www.jpox.org/downloads/maven
http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven/javax.jdo/jars/jdo2-
api-2.0-beta.jar]: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid uri '/
downloads/maven http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven/javax.jdo/
jars/jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar': escaped absolute path not valid
WARNING: Failed to download jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar.
The build cannot continue because of the following unsatisfied
dependency:

jdo2-api-2.0-beta.jar

Anyone around here know what the issue is?

>>> 5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
>>> directory for the testing of the release.
>>>
>>> 6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many
>>> of the steps therein as you like.
>>
> The file RunRule.html is included twice: in the root and under jdo2-
> tck-2.0-beta. Maybe this is a left over from merging my recent
> 'maven dist' support changes into the workspace you used to create
> the distribution file.

Yes. Good catch.

> I realized some minor issues:
> - The directory iut_jars is not included in the distribution, but
> it will be created on the first run of maven from the jdo2-tck-2.0-
> beta directory. This might be confusing, if you want to copy the
> iut jars before running maven. Maybe we could change this and
> include it as an empty directory. I'll take a look.

Yes, good idea. Your patch copied everything though. I guess it
should be empty.

> - We forgot to include the assertions directory into the
> distribution. I'll take a look.

Your patch looks good.

> - The lib/ext directory is in the parent directory of jdo2-tck-
> beta, not parallel to test as stated in the RunRules.

I'll update the RunRules. At least it isn't there twice.

Thanks for the usual thorough review.

Craig

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by David Van Couvering <da...@apache.org>.
+1

Craig L Russell wrote:
> This is now a real vote for the release of JDO 2 beta.
>
> Here's how to test the jdo 2.0-beta staging release.
>
> 1. Download the TCK source release from
> http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/jdo2-tck-src-20_Jan_2006.zip.
>
> 2. Unzip the release into a directory, hereinafter called <dist>.
>
> 3. Change to the <dist> directory: cd <dist>
>
> 4. The release depends on artifacts that are only available on the
> staging release area, so you need to edit the maven location from which
> the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of maven.xml in the
> project.properties file with the maven.remote.repo property, and add
> "http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven" to the ibiblio and jpox
> urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday
> evening. Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT build
> and rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.
>
> 5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
> directory for the testing of the release.
>
> 6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many of the
> steps therein as you like.
>
> 7. If you run maven runtck.jdori from the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory,
> you should expect 4 or 5 errors and 4 or 5 failures in 1152 JUnit tests.
>
> 8. If you like, you can also check out the source distributions of the
> api20, core20, and enhancer20. These are also in the
> http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/mirror-dist-db-jdo/2.0-beta/ area
> for staging.
>
> Please send feedback to jdo-dev@db.apache.org
> <ma...@db.apache.org>.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Craig
>
> Craig Russell

> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
>
> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by er...@jpox.org.
False alert. :) It only happens if running under windows and placed inside a
folder with spaces in the name, like c:\document and settings\jdo2\

Regards,

Quoting erik@jpox.org:

> [...]
> > which the artifacts are downloaded. Find the line of maven.xml in the
> > project.properties file with the maven.remote.repo property, and add
> > "http://www.apache.org/~clr/downloads/maven" to the ibiblio and jpox
> > urls. The JPOX releases might not be available until Sunday evening.
> > Interim, you can manually download the nightly SNAPSHOT build and
> > rename the jar file to the 1.1.0-beta-6 version.
> >
> > 5. Change to the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta directory. This is the working
> > directory for the testing of the release.
> >
> > 6. Open and read the RunRules.html document and perform as many of
> > the steps therein as you like.
> >
> > 7. If you run maven runtck.jdori from the jdo2-tck-2.0-beta
> > directory, you should expect 4 or 5 errors and 4 or 5 failures in
> > 1152 JUnit tests.
> >
> > 8. If you like, you can also check out the source distributions of

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by er...@jpox.org.

Re: [VOTE] Release JDO2 beta

Posted by Michelle Caisse <Mi...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Craig,

I think we need to post this information on the download page of the JDO
home page (http://db.apache.org/jdo/downloads.html).  There we can also
post release notes which would include errata for RunRules.html.  With
that in place, I would vote for releasing.

-- Michelle