Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Joseph Coleman <jo...@infinitecampus.com> on 2011/03/01 15:41:26 UTC

Zookeeper / Hbase

Question when setting up the zookeeper master node can I have just
zookeeper on that box or do I need to have Hbase and hadoop installed on
there as well? I am just doing a 3 node setup for an exercise before my
production gear gets here.. So I have a working HDFS cluster 1 master and
one slave just trying to setup Hbase and Zookeeper with The zookeeper
master also serving as the Hbase master and the on one HDFS slave also
being my Hbase slave..

Re: Zookeeper / Hbase

Posted by Mark Kerzner <ma...@gmail.com>.
Hey, Joseph, I am also interested in Avatar - and can one make it work :)
Please share if you can.
Mark

Re: Zookeeper / Hbase

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Joseph,

As Dave says, you could always use HBase to manage ZooKeeper. If you
need it for other things as well, and the AvatarNode is one of those,
then you have to make sure you set

HBASE_MANAGES_ZK=false

in the hbase-env.sh but still use the HBase scripts to start and stop
the stand-alone ZooKeeper ensemble, including running the nodes on
shared servers, such as the master etc.

Lars

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 7:23 PM, Joseph Coleman

RE: Zookeeper / Hbase

Posted by "Buttler, David" <bu...@llnl.gov>.
I really like the way HBase manages zookeeper.  It seems much more intuitive to me than the native zookeeper configuration.  For my cluster I use zookeeper for a couple of different tasks (like hbase, solr cloud, and other home grown things).  I manage Zookeeper using a slightly different version of the hbase scripts.  This allows me to start and stop hbase without affecting the zookeeper cluster -- but I do have to remember to stop hbase if I need to stop zookeeper.

In my opinion, HBase improves zookeeper. [although I would be happy to hear why I am missing something from the standard zookeeper config]

Dave

Re: Zookeeper / Hbase

Posted by Joseph Coleman <jo...@infinitecampus.com>.

Re: Zookeeper / Hbase