Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ted To <ra...@theo.to> on 2010/12/13 02:32:14 UTC

403 Forbidden

I know this is a common problem but I'm at a complete loss.  Nothing
that I've seen in the interwebs appears to be applicable.  I recently
migrated my server to a linode VPS and the apache based subversion
server seems to have stopped working for commits.  Nothing should have
changed except the kernel.  I can checkout repositories fine but a
checkin gives me:

svn: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response to
PUT request for
'/svn/search/!svn/wrk/854b5354-a103-443f-9e5e-94c8a965eaa5/x'

Any suggestions at all will be most helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Ted

Re: 403 Forbidden

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Dec 13, 2010, at 03:59, Ted To wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 21:32:14 -0500
> Ted To <ra...@theo.to> wrote:
>
>> I know this is a common problem but I'm at a complete loss.  Nothing
>> that I've seen in the interwebs appears to be applicable.  I recently
>> migrated my server to a linode VPS and the apache based subversion
>> server seems to have stopped working for commits.  Nothing should have
>> changed except the kernel.  I can checkout repositories fine but a
>> checkin gives me:
>>
>> svn: Server sent unexpected return value (403 Forbidden) in response
>> to PUT request for
>> '/svn/search/!svn/wrk/854b5354-a103-443f-9e5e-94c8a965eaa5/x'
>>
>> Any suggestions at all will be most helpful.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ted
>
> I've isolated it to a recent change I made in my virtual host
> configuration file -- I changed "AllowOverride None" to "AllowOverride
> all".  I needed to do this because I recently started using a cms that
> requires it for mod_rewrite to work.

Put that .htaccess file in a place where only that CMS, and not Subversion, can see it.

> I can "svn ci
> http://anothervhost.com/svn/myrepo" but this is a little unsatisfying
> to me.

That doesn't seem syntactically sound. "svn ci" doesn't accept a URL argument....

Re: 403 Forbidden

Posted by Ted To <ra...@theo.to>.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 04:59:27 -0500
Ted To <ra...@theo.to> wrote:

> I've isolated it to a recent change I made in my virtual host
> configuration file -- I changed "AllowOverride None" to "AllowOverride
> all".  I needed to do this because I recently started using a cms that
> requires it for mod_rewrite to work.  I can "svn ci
> http://anothervhost.com/svn/myrepo" but this is a little unsatisfying
> to me.  Is there some way to work around this problem?

A bit more poking around and I see that it must be the .htaccess file:

<Limit GET POST>
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from all
</Limit>
<Limit PUT DELETE>
order deny,allow
deny from all
</Limit>

Is there any way to modify my /etc/apache2/conf.d/svn.conf to make it
work again?

Re: 403 Forbidden

Posted by Ted To <ra...@theo.to>.