Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/20 22:43:38 UTC

Maven and parallel execution: fundamentally borked, right?

I have never gotten the -T option to Maven to work.

On a simple jar project that gets scheduled, periodically the compiler will
say things like this:

[ERROR] Failed to execute goal
org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-compiler-plugin:2.4:compile
(default-compile) on project com-foobar-api: Compilation failure:
Compilation failure:
[ERROR]
/Users/ljnelson/Projects/foobar/com-foobar-api/src/main/java/com/foobar/api/FrobnicationManager.java:[1,0]
class, interface, or enum expected
[ERROR]
/Users/ljnelson/Projects/foobar/com-foobar-api/src/main/java/com/foobar/api/FrobnicationManager.java:[5,0]
class, interface, or enum expected
[ERROR] -> [Help 1]

...even though in serial mode this class compiles fine (and indeed is
syntactically valid).

In other cases it will complain about how it cannot load, e.g.,
java.util.LinkedHashMap, even though--again--in serial mode this class is
loaded just fine.

I am using Maven 3.0.3 on a Mac with four cores with -T 2 as my parallel
option in a large multi-module project.

I assume that the parallel feature of Maven is in a pre-alpha state?  Just
trying to see what the status is.

Best,
Laird

--
http://about.me/lairdnelson

Re: Maven and parallel execution: fundamentally borked, right?

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> What is your os/jdk ?

OSX 10.6.8/JDK 1.6.0_33

Forking the compiler did the trick, but I'd rather not if I can.

Best,
Laird

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
Hi,
Even with MCOMPILER-170, I have noticed some failures depending on
combinations of os/jdk.
For me the same build was failing with osx/jdk1.6 but not with
osx/jdk1.7 same with some ubuntu combination.
What is your os/jdk ?

--
Olivier Lamy
Talend: http://coders.talend.com

Re: Maven and parallel execution: fundamentally borked, right?

Posted by Laird Nelson <lj...@gmail.com>.

--
Dennis Lundberg