Posted to dev@vcl.apache.org by Brian Bouterse <bm...@ncsu.edu> on 2009/02/03 22:55:41 UTC

VCL developer call Thurs (2/5) from 1-3 PM

I'd like to have a VCL developers call, where the following agenda can
be discussed with the community.  If you'd like to join the
discussion, it will be from 1-3pm EST on Thurs Feb 5th.  To join, dial
in to 919.515.7151.

I apologize for the late notice; my invite a few days ago never made
it onto the list.  If you're reading this, my e-mail subscription
problem has been resolved.

Tentative Agenda (this gets us started, please add):

1)  Update of the ESX provisioning module
2)  Update of the OS modularization effort
3)  Possibility of using NX as a connection protocol
4)  <insert your agenda item here>

Best,
Brian

Brian Bouterse
Secure Open Systems Initiative
919.698.8796

Re: VCL developer call Thurs (2/5) from 1-3 PM

Posted by "Alan D. Cabrera" <li...@toolazydogs.com>.
On Feb 4, 2009, at 6:15 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> First off, conference calls are not taboo.

I should mention that this is not a universally held opinion in the
ASF and the Incubator PMC in particular.  As for me I think that phone
calls to resolve technical issues is fine so long as they are
published.  As Matt mentions below, you should try to give ample
notice about the meeting.

Finally, after the meeting be prepared to rehash any technical
discussion or have any decision upturned by the community at large.
More specifically there is nothing final about phone meetings; they
are there to expedite dialog, nothing more.

> I'd go ahead with the call and see who can make it.  Heck, your
> phone number is now Googleable which is kind of nice :)  Take lots
> of notes and make sure to post the results back to the list so
> people can read what happened and comment.  The fact that you posted
> the time and the meeting and what you wanted to discuss on the list
> is excellent.  I'd be concerned if I saw an e-mail that said
> something like, "We met over at NC State yesterday and decided
> that ..." That would definitely not be good; decisions are made via
> e-mail with community input.  Apache Geronimo had a spot of
> confusion a couple of years ago when a number of committers met at
> Java One and the meeting location and time we're not well
> communicated.

Oy.  Trust me, you don't want to repeat that.

/me messages his sore rear...

Regards,
Alan

Re: VCL developer call Thurs (2/5) from 1-3 PM

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
All,

The notes from the conf call are posted on the wiki.

<http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/VCL/VCL+conf+call+2-5-2009>

Please note - these minutes are not approved and likely need corrections.

For the members in attendance - review the notes and make any corrections
as needed.

Thanks,
Aaron

Aaron Peeler
OIT Advanced Computing
College of Engineering-NCSU
919.513.4571
http://vcl.ncsu.edu

Re: VCL developer call Thurs (2/5) from 1-3 PM

Posted by Aaron Peeler <aa...@ncsu.edu>.
Kevan, Matt,

Thanks for the feedback. Your comments do highlight the potential problems
if such a call is not handled properly.

I think we'll try it this time to see what happens it may or may not work
out, but we'll see.

I'll step up and volunteer to record this call and then post it back to the
dev list.

Another thing that creates a problem is the non toll-free number, this may
not work for most folks. Are there any open conference tools that folks can
suggest maybe skype, I think it has a conference call feature - but I'm not
sure how many can participate.

Aaron

--On February 4, 2009 9:15:07 PM -0500 Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 3, 2009, at 4:55 PM, Brian Bouterse wrote:

> I'd like to have a VCL developers call, where the following agenda
> can be discussed with the community.  If you'd like to join the
> discussion, it will be from 1-3pm EST on Thurs Feb 5th.  To join,
> dial in to 919.515.7151.
>
> I apologize for the late notice; my invite a few days ago never made
> it onto the list.  If you're reading this, my e-mail subscription
> problem has been resolved.
>
> Tentative Agenda (this gets us started, please add):
>
> 1)  Update of the ESX provisioning module
> 2)  Update of the OS modularization effort
> 3)  Possibility of using NX as a connection protocol
> 4)  <insert your agenda item here>

Hi Brian,
Sorry I didn't read this sooner.

I think this is pretty short notice to be calling a project conference
call and I'm pretty uncomfortable with the idea, in general. Community
conference calls are pretty rare at Apache. I believe that there are
projects that do have them. I've never been personally involved in
one. Phone calls can be exclusionary -- for instance, I'm unavailable
from 1-3 tomorrow...

The number one sign of community health for any project at Apache is
communication on mailing lists. To date, I have not seen a lot of
communication occurring on the VCL dev list. There has been some
communication -- I haven't been overly worred. However, perhaps I
should be.

A few notes... You mention OS modularization and NX connection
protocols as topics of conversation. However, I can't find any mention
of these topics on the dev mailing list.

Personally, I don't think you want to be holding project conference
calls. Certainly not this early in your incubation. Before you hold
any project phone calls, I'd want to see:

1) A discussion about holding conference calls. Is the *community* in
favor of holding them?
2) Why are conference calls needed? What's wrong with dev list
communication?
3) How will you be equitable in scheduling conference calls. Rotating
schedule? etc
4) Will the phone calls be recorded? Who is going to take notes and
distribute the topics of conversations to the dev list?

--kevan