Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org> on 2020/03/14 22:08:49 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

This is a call for vote to release Apache Annotator (incubating) version
0.1.0.

Apache Annotator (incubating) provides libraries to enable annotation
related software, with an initial focus on identification of textual
fragments in browser environments.

The Annotator community has voted on a proposal to make this release
Results:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/rf072403332c16500cead16cecb103e51dd3d522835be30f334ac532f%40%3Cdev.annotator.apache.org%3E
Voting:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r0f1bfdbf31ae836005f0845dde4f3126e0fc2bb098002793e3eb248c%40%3Cdev.annotator.apache.org%3E

This release will be the first for this podling, so feedback is especially
welcome. Extra thanks to those who have reached out to help us with this
process already.

Release artifacts are available here:

https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/annotator/source/0.1.0/rc.2

Git tag is available here:

    https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/releases/tag/v0.1.0-rc.2

Git commit hash: 2eb484150c0fa86a144fa3f3f6811e856e761dd6

A KEYS file for checking the signatures can be found here:

    https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/incubator/annotator/KEYS

Please verify that the build is from commit
2eb484150c0fa86a144fa3f3f6811e856e761dd6, tagged as v0.1.0-rc.2, by
checking out the source tree and comparing it to the contents of the
tarball.

Please validate the release by checking that the signature and checksums
are valid for the uploaded tarball and then unpacking it and ensuring that
`make && make check` exits cleanly.

If you would like to further validate the packaging, the repository is set
up for Apache Rat to check for proper license headers and notifications. As
this is our first release, it is important to us that we get these
processes correctly in place.

The vote will be open for at least 72 hours or until necessary number of
votes are reached.

Please vote accordingly:
[ ] +1 approve
[ ] +0 no opinion
[ ] -1 disapprove with the reason

If the vote passes, these artifacts will be proposed to Apache Incubator
for release as Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0.

Regards,
Randall Leeds

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On 2020/03/17 20:43:02, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > There's a DISCLAIMER file in the release. Is that not what you mean by "work in progress" disclaimer?
>
> Please see [1] basically incubating project can use this disclaimer and not have to comply with all details of the ASF's release policy.

Right. I re-read your comment and now I understand. There is a DISCLAIMER file that is not the "work in progress" disclaimer. That is intentional because our aim is to comply with all licensing requirements.

Thank you for pointing out the errors. I will abort the vote and we will fix these issues.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> There's a DISCLAIMER file in the release. Is that not what you mean by "work in progress" disclaimer?

Please see [1] basically incubating project can use this disclaimer and not have to comply with all details of the ASF's release policy.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#disclaimers

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
On 2020/03/15 08:03:08, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> -1 (binding) as LICENSE issues mentioned on the last RC have not been fixed and this release is not using the work in progress disclaimer.

Thanks for checking, Justin.

There's a DISCLAIMER file in the release. Is that not what you mean by "work in progress" disclaimer?

-Randall

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Do you have a link that explains more about where to put what for LICENSE and NOTICE?

Yep [1].

> From what I'd understood LICENSE was to remain the pure Apache License 2.0 text and NOTICE should contain any reference to any other copywritten material contained within the repo--though it seems we missed bringing in the complete license text either place. Happy to correct this once I understand which thing is needed.

You need to add all licences to LICENSE. The only copyright notices that go in NOTICE are those that have been removed from headers or those that appear in other NOTICE files.

> Also when you say "incubating in name" what is the context (and is that a positive or negative comment)?

That’s a requirement. [2] You might want to make a check list like this one [3] to check future releases.

> Also, what binary files did you find in the release?

None - that’s good.

You might also want to use the work in progress DISCLAIMER [4]

Thanks,
Justin

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html
2. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#releases
3. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/Incubator+Release+Checklist
4. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#disclaimers

RE: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Thanks, Justin!

Do you have a link that explains more about where to put what for LICENSE and NOTICE?

From what I'd understood LICENSE was to remain the pure Apache License 2.0 text and NOTICE should contain any reference to any other copywritten material contained within the repo--though it seems we missed bringing in the complete license text either place. Happy to correct this once I understand which thing is needed.

Also when you say "incubating in name" what is the context (and is that a positive or negative comment)?

Also, what binary files did you find in the release?

Thanks!
Benjamin

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

> Here's the progress I've made so far on address this:
> https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/issues/63#issuecomment-601307688

Best to ask your mentors, but I took a quick look. Questions to ask yourself:
- Are we complying with the terms of the W3C Software and Document Notice and License?
- Are we complying with ASF policy re the W3C Software and Document Notice and License?
- Should license information be included in the  NOTICE file?

If your mentor can’t help or you don’t know the answers, just ask back here and I’ll point you in the right direction.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Benjamin Young <by...@bigbluehat.com>.
Here's the progress I've made so far on address this:
https://github.com/apache/incubator-annotator/issues/63#issuecomment-601307688

It would be great to have someone more "in the know" give that a look through.

Thanks!
Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

This vote is aborted due to licensing issues brought up by Justin Mclean during voting.

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Annotator (incubating) 0.1.0 (-rc.2)

Posted by Randall Leeds <ra...@apache.org>.
This vote is aborted due to licensing issues brought up by Justin Mclean during voting.