Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Vivek Dhayaal_Trichy <vi...@gmail.com> on 2013/11/15 16:23:19 UTC

Lucene v3.2->4.4 Index Upgrade OOME

Hi,

I've my lucene index directory of size 36GB. I recently upgraded my lucene
version from v3.2 to v4.4. So, I tried to upgrade my index as suggested @
http://lucene.apache.org/core/4_4_0/core/org/apache/lucene/index/IndexUpgrader.html

I tried with -Xmx 4g(snip1 in attached log) but the process ran for 37min
and hit OOME and failed. So, I tried with increased heap size 7g(snip2 in
attached log). This time the process ran for 43min and hit OOME again and
failed.

How do I resolve the OOME and successfully upgrade my index to lucene 4
format?

Thanks,
--Vivek

Re: Lucene v3.2->4.4 Index Upgrade OOME

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
Do you have many separate indexed fields?  I ask because the OOME is
happening when loading norms ...

How much heap does it take to open & search this index?

Mike McCandless

http://blog.mikemccandless.com

Posted by Vivek Dhayaal_Trichy <vi...@gmail.com>.