Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ryan Hunt <rh...@hp.com> on 2003/12/09 21:22:23 UTC

Bizarre version number change

I just complied 0.34.0 as checked out from tags/0.34.0.  When I run a
--version on it i get:

=> /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn
--version
svn, version 0.34.0 (dev build)
    compiled Dec  9 2003, 13:41:15

however when I cp that to a file server so all the clients can mount it
I get:

=> cp /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn .
=> ./svn --version
svn, version 0.29.0 (r6976)
    compiled Sep 26 2003, 17:33:58

seems pretty strange anyone have and idea what might cause this and how
to fix it?

I used this method for 0.29.0 and now it seems like it is stuck in that
mode.

-Ryan

Re: Bizarre version number change

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Ryan Hunt wrote:

> I just complied 0.34.0 as checked out from tags/0.34.0.  When I run a
> --version on it i get:
>
> => /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn
> --version
> svn, version 0.34.0 (dev build)
>    compiled Dec  9 2003, 13:41:15
>
> however when I cp that to a file server so all the clients can mount
> it I get:
>
> => cp /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn .
> => ./svn --version
> svn, version 0.29.0 (r6976)
>    compiled Sep 26 2003, 17:33:58
>
> seems pretty strange anyone have and idea what might cause this and
> how to fix it?
>
> I used this method for 0.29.0 and now it seems like it is stuck in
> that mode.

You've got a dynamically linked binary and you didn't change the shared
libs on your file server. Nothing bizzare about it at all, except the
fact that "svn --version" works at all.

Re: Bizarre version number change

Posted by Tobias Ringstrom <to...@ringstrom.mine.nu>.
Ryan Hunt wrote:
> I just complied 0.34.0 as checked out from tags/0.34.0.  When I run a
> --version on it i get:
>
> => /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn
> --version
> svn, version 0.34.0 (dev build)
>    compiled Dec  9 2003, 13:41:15
>
> however when I cp that to a file server so all the clients can mount it
> I get:
>
> => cp /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn .
> => ./svn --version
> svn, version 0.29.0 (r6976)
>    compiled Sep 26 2003, 17:33:58
>
> seems pretty strange anyone have and idea what might cause this and how
> to fix it?
>
> I used this method for 0.29.0 and now it seems like it is stuck in that
> mode.

I bet it's picking up shared libraries from an old release.  You can use
'ldd ./svn' to find out.

/Tobias

Re: Bizarre version number change

Posted by Alexander Mueller <Xe...@web.de>.
Ryan Hunt wrote:
> I just complied 0.34.0 as checked out from tags/0.34.0.  When I run a
> --version on it i get:
>
> => /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn
> --version
> svn, version 0.34.0 (dev build)
>    compiled Dec  9 2003, 13:41:15
>
> however when I cp that to a file server so all the clients can mount it
> I get:
>
> => cp /home/rhunt/pub/source/build_svn/subversion/clients/cmdline/svn .
> => ./svn --version
> svn, version 0.29.0 (r6976)
>    compiled Sep 26 2003, 17:33:58
>
> seems pretty strange anyone have and idea what might cause this and how
> to fix it?
>
> I used this method for 0.29.0 and now it seems like it is stuck in that
> mode.
>
> -Ryan
Looks like you copied only the svn command line client but not the
underlying shared libraries. I might be wrong, but I think I remember th
version stuff is somewhere inside the library. So if you are calling the
command line client it will echo the library's verion.

Cheers,
Xela