Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Davide Giannella <da...@apache.org> on 2015/07/21 16:46:30 UTC

bundle plugin and package exports

Hello folks,

I was changing bits here and there under o.a.j.o.query when the bundle
plugin complained about increasing the version from 2.1 to 2.2.

When we released Oak 1.0 and 1.2 the package export was 1.0. Then I
guess we changed something and it became 2.0 which could make sense as
we're working towards the release of 1.4.

Now I'm not a plugin expert, but my hunch is that as we release
regularly cuts from trunk (1.3.x), it recognises that we should change
the API version. Overall is correct but it's unstable and unstable, IMO,
means we can change API without too many concerns.

What do you think, if it's possible, to instruct the bundle plugin to
ignore changes between 1.3.x releases? In this way we'll have less API
version changes and between oak 1.2 and 1.4 we'll have only one API
change like 2.1 in this case rather than 2.${bignumberhere}.

Cheers
Davide

Re: bundle plugin and package exports

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 21.7.15 4:46 , Davide Giannella wrote:
> What do you think, if it's possible, to instruct the bundle plugin to
> ignore changes between 1.3.x releases? In this way we'll have less API
> version changes and between oak 1.2 and 1.4 we'll have only one API
> change like 2.1 in this case rather than 2.${bignumberhere}.

The problem with such an approach is that all changes in export versions
would only be visible to upstream consumers once 1.4 is released. At
that point the consumers would need to update all their import ranges in
one single go. I don't think this is viable.

Michael