Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com> on 2007/05/03 16:22:05 UTC

[VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

This vote is to send the attached draft board resolution to the
incubator for the purpose of graduation from the incubator to the
Apache OpenJPA project.

+1 We're ready; let's graduate

0 Don't care

-1 Let's wait

Establish the Apache OpenJPA project

        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project, to be known as
        Apache OpenJPA, related to the implementation of
        object persistence, including, but not limited to,
        Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the
public;

        Committee (PMC), be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws
        of the Foundation; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is charged with
        the creation and maintenance of Apache OpenJPA;
        and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache OpenJPA"
be and
        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
        OpenJPA PMC, and to have primary responsibility for
management of
        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache
OpenJPA
        PMC; and be it further

        OpenJPA PMC:

        Eddie O'Neil                <ek...@apache.org>
        Geir Magnusson Jr.          <ge...@apache.org>
        Brian McCallister           <br...@apache.org>
        Patrick Linskey             <pc...@apache.org>
        Craig Russell               <cl...@apache.org>
        Kevin Sutter                <kw...@apache.org>
        Abe White                   <aw...@apache.org>
        Marc Prud'hommeaux          <mp...@apache.org>

        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Craig Russell
        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache OpenJPA,
to serve
        in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
        Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
        resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until
        a successor is appointed; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that the initial OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is tasked
        with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
        OpenJPA podling; and be it further

        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
        Incubator OpenJPA podling and encumbered upon the Apache
Incubator
        PMC are hereafter discharged.

Craig Russell
DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC
clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
+1

-dain

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  No worries and thanks for the update -- I just wanted to make sure I
still had some time to respond to the thread.  :)

Eddie

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Fwd: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.

Posted by Michael Bouschen <mb...@spree.de>.
Hi Craig,

+1

Regards Michael
> This vote is to send the attached draft board resolution to the
> incubator for the purpose of graduation from the incubator to the
> Apache OpenJPA project.
>
> +1 We're ready; let's graduate
>
> 0 Don't care
>
> -1 Let's wait
>
> Establish the Apache OpenJPA project
>
>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project, to be known as
>        Apache OpenJPA, related to the implementation of
>        object persistence, including, but not limited to,
>        Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the public;
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>        Committee (PMC), be and hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws
>        of the Foundation; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is charged with
>        the creation and maintenance of Apache OpenJPA;
>        and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache OpenJPA"
> be and
>        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
>        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
>        OpenJPA PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management of
>        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the Apache
> OpenJPA
>        PMC; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>        hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>        OpenJPA PMC:
>
>        Eddie O'Neil                <ek...@apache.org>
>        Geir Magnusson Jr.          <ge...@apache.org>
>        Brian McCallister           <br...@apache.org>
>        Patrick Linskey             <pc...@apache.org>
>        Craig Russell               <cl...@apache.org>
>        Kevin Sutter                <kw...@apache.org>
>        Abe White                   <aw...@apache.org>
>        Marc Prud'hommeaux          <mp...@apache.org>
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Craig Russell
>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache OpenJPA,
> to serve
>        in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
>        Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
>        resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until
>        a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is tasked
>        with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
>        OpenJPA podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>        Incubator OpenJPA podling and encumbered upon the Apache Incubator
>        PMC are hereafter discharged.
>
> Craig Russell
> DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC

Tech@Spree Engineering GmbH  Tel.: +49/(0)30/235 520-33
Buelowstr. 66                Fax.: +49/(0)30/217 520-12
10783 Berlin                 mailto:mbo.tech@spree.de

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.
+1. Thanks for working with the board to get this put together.

-Patrick

Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Marc Prud'hommeaux <mp...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Michael Dick <mi...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Kevin Sutter <kw...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.
+1

Craig

On May 3, 2007, at 7:22 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> This vote is to send the attached draft board resolution to the
> incubator for the purpose of graduation from the incubator to the
> Apache OpenJPA project.
>
> +1 We're ready; let's graduate
>
> 0 Don't care
>
> -1 Let's wait
>
> Establish the Apache OpenJPA project
>
>        WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best
>        interests of the Foundation and consistent with the
>        Foundation's purpose to establish a Project, to be known as
>        Apache OpenJPA, related to the implementation of
>        object persistence, including, but not limited to,
>        Java Persistence API, for distribution at no charge to the
> public;
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that a Project Management
>        Committee (PMC), be and hereby is established pursuant to
> Bylaws
>        of the Foundation; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is charged with
>        the creation and maintenance of Apache OpenJPA;
>        and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Apache
> OpenJPA" be and
>        hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve at
>        the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
>        OpenJPA PMC, and to have primary responsibility for
> management of
>        the projects within the scope of responsibility of the
> Apache OpenJPA
>        PMC; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and
>        hereby are appointed to serve as the initial members of the
>        OpenJPA PMC:
>
>        Eddie O'Neil                <ek...@apache.org>
>        Geir Magnusson Jr.          <ge...@apache.org>
>        Brian McCallister           <br...@apache.org>
>        Patrick Linskey             <pc...@apache.org>
>        Craig Russell               <cl...@apache.org>
>        Kevin Sutter                <kw...@apache.org>
>        Abe White                   <aw...@apache.org>
>        Marc Prud'hommeaux          <mp...@apache.org>
>
>        NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Craig Russell
>        be appointed to the office of Vice President, Apache
> OpenJPA, to serve
>        in accordance with and subject to the direction of the Board of
>        Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
>        resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until
>        a successor is appointed; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that the initial OpenJPA PMC be and hereby is tasked
>        with the migration and rationalization of the Apache Incubator
>        OpenJPA podling; and be it further
>
>        RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Apache
>        Incubator OpenJPA podling and encumbered upon the Apache
> Incubator
>        PMC are hereafter discharged.
>
> Craig Russell
> DB PMC, OpenJPA PPMC
> clr@apache.org http://db.apache.org/jdo

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
Now I'm sorry I sent this email and would like to withdraw my
comments.  If the community wants to change the charter or name they
can petition the board later.

I'd like to see the vote continue as is.

-dain

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
yes, the project has the freedom to implement anything it wants, by
both the letter and spirit.  "related" is a wide-open door.

geir

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  See, this is why I shouldn't be on the PMC of a persistence project.  :)

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
Gavin, Linda, and Mike, yes :)

I was joking with Linda about this when I ran into her at JavaOne,
and she also suggested getting Patrick in there :

   Gavindakeithsky

I like it, but can't imagine what the logo might be...

geir

Posted by Evan Ireland <ei...@sybase.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.
  +1, and I'm with Brian -- I don't merit inclusion in the PMC as I'm
not contributing to the community outside of just helping guide things
along.  Having been through the Incubator to TLP route before, though,
I'm very happy to help with this transition with respect to
configuring infrastructure, tying into the ASF mirror system, etc.

  One other point -- I would encourage the fledgling PMC to diversify
soon-ish.  Having been through the process of graduating a generally
homogeneous (wrt employer) PMC before, it will serve you well as it
encourages communication / decision making via ASF channels.
Fortunately, there are committers that are clearly on this path.  To
be clear, I've no specific concern here -- just a lesson from projects
past.  OpenJPA is a good community, has good, open communication, has
great ties into other ASF projects, and has committers with a healthy
dose of ASF experience.  You'll do well.  :)

  Best of luck!

Eddie

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
"Gavindakeith"

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

RE: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Patrick Linskey <pl...@gmail.com>.

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907

Re: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On May 4, 2007, at 1:01 PM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Phill,
>
> My sense of this community is that they don't want to be restricted
> in the space of API implementations that make sense for their
> pluggable persistence engine.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

> I would like to hear from other community members on this subject.
>
> If you feel that you want to change your vote and have the
> community vote on adding restrictions of their charter in the board
> resolution, please do follow up. I'm happy to call another vote on
> this specific subject prior to asking for Incubator approval to
> graduate. Just ask.

If anyone has a great name that sounds less restrictive than openjpa
I'd like to hear it.  Otherwise I'd prefer to try to graduate and
deal with the naming problem when we have another api implemented.

Personally despite the mismatch I don't have a big problem with e.g.
openJPA implementing JDO etc.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Phill Moran <pj...@rogers.com>.
I have no desire in calling a new vote my comments where, to some degree,
philosophical. I am well along the road in implementing a application using
OpenJPA so I think we are ready to graduate.
As mentioned we currently have no plans (or restrictions for that matter) on
other APIs so keeping the name is fine. I think if we become a persistence
platform then we should serious consider a renaming in order to provide easier
understanding and discovery

Thanks again

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@SUN.com>.
Hi Phill,

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.
On May 4, 2007, at 10:50 AM, Phill Moran wrote:

> Would we then not have to change the overall name from JPA to
> openPersistence or
> some such?

That would suck.  I see no reason we would "have to change" the
name.  It is a choice of the community.

> Why not let another project lift out the engine and adapt JDO/SDO/ETC
> and maybe we remerge the projects later.

I would hate to see a fork.

> Maybe this idea works if we can fully separate the API from the
> persistence
> engine as it does not make sense to go into production with several
> unused API
> being deployed.

It is already separated.

-dain

RE: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Updated board resolution

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Based on the results of the vote, I'm planning on updating the board
resolution to be proposed to the incubator.

1. Remove Brian McCallister from the PMC, at his request.
2. Remove Eddie O'Neil from the PMC, at his request.
3. Fix a typo: change "responsibility" to "responsibilities" in the
final paragraph.

Posted by "Hans J. Prueller" <ha...@gmx.net>.
+1

hans

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
+1

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
+1

david jencks

Posted by Pinaki Poddar <pp...@bea.com>.
+1

Pinaki Poddar
BEA Systems
415.402.7317

[...]

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

RE: [VOTE] Graduate from Incubation