Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> on 2007/03/09 16:19:21 UTC

Re: svn commit: r516239 - in /incubator/roller/trunk/sandbox/scripting/groovy: ./ bin/ bin/logs/ src/org/apache/roller/scripting/ src/org/apache/roller/util/

Dave:

Missed the proposal for this (probably my fault).

I would have suggested using BSF (Bean Scripting Framework
http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/) so as to accommodate any of the languages
that work with BSF (including Groovy and several others)

I'm not sure if that would work in this particular setting or not.  Did you
already consider this?

--a.

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 3/9/07, Anil Gangolli <an...@busybuddha.org> wrote:
> Missed the proposal for this (probably my fault).

I don't have a proposal for this scripting work yet -- I'm trying to
figure out what to do. I'm doing the work in the sandbox so that
others can see it and offer suggestions.

> I would have suggested using BSF (Bean Scripting Framework
> http://jakarta.apache.org/bsf/) so as to accommodate any of the languages
> that work with BSF (including Groovy and several others)

Yes, BSF is a good way to support multiple scripting languages and I
have now gotten BSF to work for Groovy and JavaScript, but not JRuby
because it has a conflict with a Hibernate dependency (Hibernate uses
an older ASM lib).

> I'm not sure if that would work in this particular setting or not.  Did you
> already consider this?

BSF works fine for basic scripting needs, but doesn't allow for
Groovlet and GSP style pages because they require that special
Groovy-specific objects are put into context (i.e. the "html"
MarkupBuilder). Check the README's in the groovy and bsf directories
for sample examples.

- Dave