Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> on 2006/06/25 22:56:54 UTC

Re: [cli] [patch] build bug

On 4/20/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think our priorities should be:
>
> * Breathe activity back into cli - which means getting passed the
> impasse it has arrived at by dumping cli-1.0 support from the 2.0 jar.
> * Support old cli 1.0 users with a minor bugfix version, 1.0.1.
> * Consider 1.0 and Avalon facades to 2.0.
>
> The Avalon one is worth finding out more about - especially if people
> think it's an improvement over the current cli2 code. It'd also be
> interesting to know why it's not an excalibur component - I thought
> that project was still slightly active.
>
> So my suggested plan is:
>
> 1) Create 1.x branch. Dump 2.x, avalon code from it.
> 2) Create Avalon branch. Dump 2.x, 1.x code from it.
> 3) Dump 1.x, avalon code from trunk.
> 4) Split bugs into 1.x or 2.x bugs.
> 5) Release 1.0.1 and 2.0-rc1.
> 6) Reassess situation. Including facade creation to support other
> projects, and release of avalon branch.

I've gone ahead with 1, 2 and 3 tonight. There are now two branches:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/branches/avalon-implementation/
and
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/jakarta/commons/proper/cli/branches/cli-1.0.x/

CLI-2 is in the trunk.

Andrew's doing a good job at reviewing bugs and adding tests and comments.

Hen