Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Henri Yandell <ba...@apache.org> on 2017/09/16 04:26:50 UTC

Discussion Forums?

The MXNet community have been discussing the possibilities of a discussion
forum. I suspect I'm out of date on the topic. Has there been Incubator
discussion on forums in the past few years? Are there projects running
forums? Discourse seems to be the current fashion.

My dated assumption is that Apache tends to be -1 to forums, but then we
had Nabble eking an existence on top of our lists as a semi-forum, then
StackExchange creating de facto Q&A forums; so perhaps user forums are a
thing now; or perhaps folk have their user@ mailing lists integrated with
discourse/stackoverflow etc?

Thanks,

Hen

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
An advantage of apache is apache people from other projects.  If you use
the standard mail lists that will make it clearer for other developers from
other groups to pick up your list and contribute.  I mean I would know how
to find your list easily.

But If you advertise something different than you will need to make sure
everyone knows your list.  Unless you don't care about it. But in which
case you would only be using the apache brand, not the whole thing.

Just my 2 cents.

Clebert Suconic

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Clebert Suconic <cl...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

>     >
>     > On 9/15/17, 9:26 PM, "Henri Yandell" <ba...@apache.org> wrote:
>     >
>     >     The MXNet community have been discussing the possibilities of a
>     > discussion
>     >     forum. I suspect I'm out of date on the topic. Has there been
> Incubator
>     >     discussion on forums in the past few years? Are there projects
> running
>     >     forums? Discourse seems to be the current fashion.
>     >
>     >     My dated assumption is that Apache tends to be -1 to forums, but
> then
>     > we
>     >     had Nabble eking an existence on top of our lists as a
> semi-forum, then
>     >     StackExchange creating de facto Q&A forums; so perhaps user

Clebert Suconic

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Seb.

From: Seb Kiureghian <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM
To: "dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org" <de...@mxnet.incubator.apache.org>
Cc: "mattmann@apache.org" <ma...@apache.org>, "general@incubator.apache.org" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Discussion Forums?

are you making it so that the default way to interact with *Apache* MXNet (note emphasis) to not be on Apache infrastructure?

Discourse is open source so we can host it on Apache infrastructure and include it on our site. I will suggest PonyMail on the original thread and see what the community thinks. Thanks for your feedback Chris.

Seb

Hi,

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Chris Mattmann <ma...@apache.org>.
Thanks, Seb.

From: Seb Kiureghian <se...@gmail.com>
Date: Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 4:30 PM
To: "dev@mxnet.incubator.apache.org" <de...@mxnet.incubator.apache.org>
Cc: "mattmann@apache.org" <ma...@apache.org>, "general@incubator.apache.org" <ge...@incubator.apache.org>

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.
Let me refine that statement a little bit:

* you asked, "handling user support" ... no decisions are made there, so
the Foundation doesn't require a permanent record

* BUT. development *decisions* must be handled on an Apache-archived
mailing list. My apologies, that should have been in the list of mandates I
described, re: needing to use ASF infrastructure.

Hope that clarifies things,
-g

Re: Discussion Forums?

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@gmail.com>.