Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Albretch Mueller <lb...@gmail.com> on 2008/01/24 19:23:04 UTC

using log4j to try to log from tomcat webapps

 Hi,
~
 I am trying to enable log4j logging in tomcat version 6.0.14
~
 I am using java version "1.6.0_02" on windows:
~
C:\cmllpz\prjx\java\GWB\tc\tc-6.0.14\00_Virgin\bin>java -version
java version "1.6.0_02"

C:\cmllpz\prjx\java\GWB\tc\tc-6.0.14\00_Virgin\bin>javac -version
javac 1.6.0_02
~
 but I can not make webapps log to their separate files
~
 I have tried the tomcat users list, but they apparently gave up on me:
~
 * http://www.nabble.com/
 * users@tomcat.apache.org
 * Still trying to log using org.apache.juli.FileHandler
~
 Can you point me to a clear tutorial or step-by-step guide on how to
enable webapps to log?
~
 Thank yu very much
 lbrtchx

Re: using log4j to try to log from tomcat webapps

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I answered this question in the other thread you posted. Please read it.

Jake

Posted by Albretch Mueller <lb...@gmail.com>.
~

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
You are trying to get Tomcat to log using Log4j or Webapps to log using Log4j.
 The former is somewhat involved and is documented in Tomcat's docs.  The
latter (assuming you are using Tomcat standalone), is pretty simple.  Place
log4j.jar in each webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory and log4j.xml or
log4j.properties in each webapp's WEB-INF/classes directory.

Keep in mind that log4j's autoconfiguration prefers log4j.xml over
log4j.properties.  If you have a stray log4j.xml in some parent classloader,
it will use that in preference to your log4j.properties in WEB-INF/classes.
 For this reason, use log4j.xml in your WEB-INF/classes to guarantee that this
is the config file log4j will use for autoconfiguration.

Jake

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:23:04 -0500