Posted to discuss@apachecon.com by Sander Temme <sa...@temme.net> on 2006/06/01 08:37:34 UTC

Burlington considered harmful?

Browsing around to hear the Good Word on The Burlington, it appears
that the Word is not so good:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186605-d187626-Reviews-j4-
The_Burlington-Dublin_County_Dublin.html

Of course there is no pleasing everyone, but when 20% of ratings are
1 out of 5, I think there may be reason for worry. I'm especially
turned off by quotes like this:

"
Conference participants (who pay for the conference rooms, for meals
during the day, and the drinks and coffee) are not regarded as
guests. They are not allowed in the bar in the evening. Complaints
are not taken seriously.

Hotel guests (who have paid 200€ per room and night) are not allowed
to bring in business partners or friends into the bar or even the
hotel lobby after 11pm. The personnel on duty during the night are
badly trained and not cooperative. This is not acceptable for
business travel.
"

This seems contrary to the usual scene at ApacheCon, which has many
people staying in alternative ho(s)tels, as well as quite a few late
night gatherings. Are we supposed to take those offsite?

S.

Re: Burlington considered harmful?

Posted by Lars Eilebrecht <la...@eilebrecht.net>.
According to Sander:

> Browsing around to hear the Good Word on The Burlington, it appears
> that the Word is not so good:
>
> http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g186605-d187626-Reviews-j4-
> The_Burlington-Dublin_County_Dublin.html
>
> Of course there is no pleasing everyone, but when 20% of ratings are
> 1 out of 5, I think there may be reason for worry. I'm especially
> turned off by quotes like this:

Sander, for almost all hotels you will find a few bad reviews
on the site ... I have been once to the Burlington for the site
visit and planning meeting and my impression of the hotel was
very good. The hotel is very nice and the staff was friendly as well.

Should you or anyone else ever encounter any problems with the hotel
or hotel staff then please let someone from the ApacheCon team know
all we'll take care of it.

[...]
> This seems contrary to the usual scene at ApacheCon, which has many
> people staying in alternative ho(s)tels, as well as quite a few late
> night gatherings. Are we supposed to take those offsite?

No. If I remember correctly, the lobby bar of the hotel is open until
1 am during the week and until 2 or 3 on a weekend.
And yes, you can bring friends. :-)

ciao...
--
Lars Eilebrecht
lars@apache.org

Re: Burlington considered harmful?

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Burlington considered harmful?

Posted by Colm MacCarthaigh <co...@stdlib.net>.
On Wed, May 31, 2006 at 11:37:34PM -0700, Sander Temme wrote:
> Conference participants (who pay for the conference rooms, for meals
> during the day, and the drinks and coffee) are not regarded as
> guests. They are not allowed in the bar in the evening. Complaints
> are not taken seriously.
>
> Hotel guests (who have paid 200€ per room and night) are not allowed
> to bring in business partners or friends into the bar or even the
> hotel lobby after 11pm. The personnel on duty during the night are
> badly trained and not cooperative. This is not acceptable for
> business travel.
> "

I've been to many conferences at the Burlington, and also just dropped
in on ocasion, without any such problems whatsoever. I've always found
them very helpful.

Like most Irish establishments, they are rarely sticklers for any rules,
but also do not bear fools all too well. If someone was making a
nuisance of themselves, it's entirely possible that they were turfed
out, for the benefit of everyone else.

Re: Burlington considered harmful?

Posted by Kristo Helasvuo <kr...@gmail.com>.
I'm afraid to hear that of Burlington - have not been there before -
and will not stay there this time either.

Anyway I'm sure we can find some alternative solutions.

See you all in D.

    Kristo

--
   Mr. Kristo Helasvuo