Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Chanaka Amarasekara <ch...@ifs.lk> on 2004/11/05 12:27:06 UTC

Having a font which is not embedded in the PDF

Hi,

I want to create a PDF but the fonts should not be embedded to the PDF. When
I open the PDF it should take the font from my default OS fonts folder (e.g.
C:\Winnt\Fonts). With the attached userconfig.xml and the font metric
(arial.xml), I'm able to create a PDF with the Arial font, but this is
always embedded in to the created PDF. How can I created a PDF so that the
font is not embedded in to PDF and it will take the font from the OS fonts
folder? (assuming that the fonts are installed in the machine)

Please help,

Thank you,
Regards,
Chanaka

Re: Having a font which is not embedded in the PDF

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

http://www.askjeremias.com/ heh! nice!

> Anyway, as far as I can tell you can omit the embed-file for Type1
> fonts
> if the name under which the font is registered matches a font that is
> registered in your operating system's font subsystem. For TrueType this
> doesn't work because currently FOP does something wrong with the
> (multibyte) character encodings. It may work if you're using an 8 bit
> encoding though I haven't tested. This encoding problem is fixed in
> Foray where omitting "embed-file" might work, though I haven't tested
> either.
>
> I've used non-embedded Type1 fonts so the PDF/PS file sizes stay small
> for high-volume processing. The fonts were installed directly in the
> printer's RIPs.

What I'm looking is a place to update the docs ;-) I'll wait a bit
before I do.

> On 10.11.2004 00:39:53 J.Pietschmann wrote:
>> Clay Leeds wrote:
>>> Thank you for the info, Joerg. So, what does this look like? Is it
>>> something like this:
>>>
>>> Font declaration *with* embedding:
>>> RENAME_FILE_TO_USE_kerning="yes"
>>>       embed-file="C:\myfonts\FTL_____.pfb">
>>>
>>> Font declaration *without* embedding:
>>> RENAME_FILE_TO_USE_kerning="yes">
>>>
>>> Is that correct?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>>> It would be good to add this information to the FOP Fonts page. This
>>> additional Adobe Acrobat/Reader information would be good to add to
>>> either a "NOTE" or a "WARNING" breakout box. I'll see what I can do.
>>
>> The info about the Adobe Type Manager is from someone else.
>> Ask Jeremias, or search the list archive. I never got PDF
>> with user fonts which were not embedded working. Other PDF
>> tools can do this (i.e. put some info about the font into
>> the PDF which causes Acrobat Reader to ask the OS for fonts).
>

> Jeremias Maerki

Web Maestro Clay
--
Clay Leeds - <cl...@medata.com>

Re: Having a font which is not embedded in the PDF

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@greenmail.ch>.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Clay Leeds wrote:
> Thank you for the info, Joerg. So, what does this look like? Is it
> something like this:
>
> Font declaration *with* embedding:
>       embed-file="C:\myfonts\FTL_____.pfb">
>
> Font declaration *without* embedding:
>
> Is that correct?

Yes.

> It would be good to add this information to the FOP Fonts page. This
> additional Adobe Acrobat/Reader information would be good to add to
> either a "NOTE" or a "WARNING" breakout box. I'll see what I can do.

The info about the Adobe Type Manager is from someone else.
Ask Jeremias, or search the list archive. I never got PDF
with user fonts which were not embedded working. Other PDF
tools can do this (i.e. put some info about the font into
the PDF which causes Acrobat Reader to ask the OS for fonts).

J.Pietschmann

Re: Having a font which is not embedded in the PDF

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Clay Leeds <cl...@medata.com>.
On Nov 5, 2004, at 3:27 AM, Chanaka Amarasekara wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to create a PDF but the fonts should not be embedded to the
> PDF. When
> I open the PDF it should take the font from my default OS fonts folder
> (e.g.
> C:\Winnt\Fonts). With the attached userconfig.xml and the font metric
> (arial.xml), I'm able to create a PDF with the Arial font, but this is
> always embedded in to the created PDF. How can I created a PDF so that
> the
> font is not embedded in to PDF and it will take the font from the OS
> fonts
> folder? (assuming that the fonts are installed in the machine)

Have you tried creating the PDF file without using userconfig.xml &
font metrics files? Perhaps that will just work?

If you must use a font different from Base-14 Fonts[1], it may be
necessary to embed the font to ensure the integrity of page displayed
is maintained. The Base-14 Fonts[1] defined in the Adobe PDF Spec are:

Helvetica (normal, bold, italic, bold italic), Times (normal, bold,
italic, bold italic), Courier (normal, bold, italic, bold italic),
Symbol and ZapfDingbats

[1]
http://xml.apache.org/fop/fonts.html#Base-14+Fonts

Web Maestro Clay