Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Victor Popiol <vp...@douwantit.com> on 2002/06/25 21:40:22 UTC

Tomcat 4.0.4 Performance

I just installed Tomcat 4.0.4 and the performance is as terrible as Tomcat 4.0.3.

I started a thread last week about this issue and I was recomended to try Tomcat 4.1.3 beta, which I did. As I mentioned, the performance improved amazingly, but due to memory leaks, it dies twice a day.

I am under a lot of pressure to look for alternatives to Tomcat since our site is in production.

The reason for this message is to try one last time to collect suggestions before I seriously pursue an alternative. If you are curious, I will be testing: JRun 4, Resin and Orion.

I am pasting the original site info that I sent last week.

Thanks
Victor

Hi all.

We have deployed a new web application to our production server and have noticed that the performance is terrible.

We then configured 2 test environments running Tomcat 4 and JRun 4. After testing we determined that JRun's performance (out of the box) is orders of magnitude better than Tomcat's.

We believe that our Tomcat configuration could be twicked to improve performance.

These are the details about our deployment:
- Win 2K, 1 CPU 700 Mhz, 512 M Ram
- IIS front end using isapi_redirector.dll
- One Tomcat instance
- Minimum memory (-Xms) is 128 MB. Maximum memory is 256 MB
- Server logging includes the Access Log
- Application uses Struts

We have twicked the AJP connector to preallocate 100 threads, grow up to 200 and allow a queue of up to 50 requests. We have never reached these limits.

The main and evident symptom is that the requests to Tomcat seam to be serialized and handled one by one. Also the CPU utilization is pegged at 100% while the requests are being served.

Before making a decision to replace Tomcat, I would like to hear some advice regarding configuration and tuning.

Thanks
Victor

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 Performance

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.
peter lin wrote:
> Victor, you'll also need ant.jar along with the jasper jar files.  give
> that a try and it will dramatically improve performance, if your
> performance problems are due to jsp tags.

Oooo, Peter is right. Add ant.jar to the lib folder also.
Thanks Peter.

Remy

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 Performance

Posted by peter lin <pe...@labs.gte.com>.
Victor, you'll also need ant.jar along with the jasper jar files.  give
that a try and it will dramatically improve performance, if your
performance problems are due to jsp tags.

peter

Re: Tomcat 4.0.4 Performance

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.