Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us> on 2012/07/28 03:24:08 UTC

[DISCUSS] Dropping NetApp Support

Hi folks,

As I noted in an earlier email, I've been playing with dependencies
this evening.

one of those dependencies is manageontap.jar, which is part of the NM
SDK from NetApp. Sadly I can't get to the license terms for this
particular library as it's behind a paywall. This leads me to believe
that it's not open source, though perhaps it has a freely
redistributable license. Who knows.

Now that Murali and Alex and others have done lots of work to get
things pretty modular, it's pretty easy to remove this from the
default build, so I propose we drop the jar (no real choice about
that), make this a non-default build path, and perhaps include
instructions on how to download the jar (though someone else would
have to do that) and build the plugin if needed.

If I don't hear any backlash, I'll make this part of my ant dependency
download target.

--David.

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping NetApp Support

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:40 PM, John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co> wrote:
> On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:55 AM, David Nalley wrote:

John,

As you document the optional items, would you mind updating the status
column on this page:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Moving+dependencies+to+ASF+approved+licenses

Something like "optional" would suffice.

Thanks a ton!

-chip

Re: [DISCUSS] Dropping NetApp Support

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.

Posted by Ewan Mellor <Ew...@eu.citrix.com>.

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.

Posted by John Kinsella <jl...@stratosec.co>.
I reached out to some contacts at NetApp, their product management team quoted the following part of their "NETAPP MANAGEABILITY SDK - EULA.docx"[1] to me:

"Subject to the terms and conditions set forth herein, NetApp grants You a license to:...Use, reproduce and distribute the Language Libraries in object code form (for C/C++, Java, C#, VB.NET and PowerShell only) and source code form (for Perl, Python and Ruby only) as incorporated into the Licensee Application; provided, however, that You (A) reproduce and include the copyright notice that appears in the Language Libraries as provided by NetApp, and (B) distribute the Licensee Application incorporating the Language Libraries pursuant to terms no less restrictive than those set forth herein. You shall not modify the Language Libraries; and..."

Not that we want to distribute jars in the source, I was told they don't have an "open source" license so this wouldn't fly with ASL, but perhaps we could provide the library as part of the "convenience builds?"

John
1: I can forward the docx to the list or put it up somewhere if there's interest

On Jul 30, 2012, at 6:45 AM, Hugo Trippaers wrote:

> Hey David,
>
> This the part from the SLA regarding distribution of the netapp SDK:
> -- snip --
> No distribution or redistribution rights are granted by this license, except as specified in this paragraph.  Notwithstanding the terms of this Agreement to the contrary, certain of the components of the Product may be redistributed by you to the extent required for the permitted operation of the derivative work created by you while using the Software hereunder. The specific components permitted for redistribution are limited to those which are compiled as part of the derivative work and distributed by you only in conjunction with or embedded with your product and not as a stand-alone product of the redistributed components. Other components such as printed materials, code samples, SNMP MIB files and "online" or electronic documentation, accompanying the particular embodiment of the Software may not be distributed or redistributed.
> -- end snip --
>
> If I read this correctly (mind you I'm no lawyer) this means that we can't redistribute the compiled jars unless we (meaning the ASF) are granted the use of the Manage ONTAP SDK. If we were granted that use we could distribute the jar.
>
> As far as I know the manage ontap SDK is available to everyone with a valid NetApp support contract, so interested parties with a NetApp contract could be pointed to the correct spot on the netapp support site should they wish to use the CloudStack netapp plugin.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Hugo

o: 415.315.9385
@johnlkinsella