Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2002/12/04 19:26:48 UTC

[STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $

APACHE AVALON PROJECT STATUS:                    -*-indented-text-*-
Last modified at [$Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $]

Background:

     Apache Avalon is a project started at java.apache.org.
     It later became an Apache Jakarta subproject.
     It has recently been declared a new top-level project with
     its own PMC.

     See the bottom of this file for the official resolution/
     charter-as-it-stands. See the project website for other information.

Release:

     o none scheduled ATM; still defining new container plan and
       how to best keep development of current code go ahead
       without impacting negatively on the new work.

     o past releases available from
          http://jakarta.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/

     o nightlies available from
          http://cvs.apache.org/builds/jakarta-avalon/nightly/

Resolved Issues:

     o previously released software needs to be supported,
       including but not limited to the avalon framework, avalon
       excalibur and avalon phoenix

     o existing avalon users must be supported, including but not limited
       to the XML Cocoon and Jakarta JAMES communities

     o we want to strive for as much consensus on future developments as
       possible taking into account the above points

     o There is an Avalon repository called avalon-sandbox to contain
       all non-released code. It has its own site to make less confusion
       with released products.

     o Use a unified avalon-dev mailing list
        (and avalon-user remains separate)

Pending issues:

     o Coming up with a set of bylaws for the project

     o Define the terms for serving as a Chair

     o deciding on moving or not moving to avalon.apache.org

     o discussing and writing medium-to-long term roadmap
       regarding containers and possible avalon framework extension
       based on consensus development

     o discussing and writing short-to-medium term roadmap regarding
       unused and/or unmaintained and/or alpha-stage software
       packages in current CVSes

     o discussing and writing short-to-medium term roadmap
       regarding possible relocation of software packages that
       could have a better home at another avalon project

     o wrap up discussion on licensing headers in sourcefiles

     o Existing committers can start new projects without a
       detour to the Incubator by using the avalon-sandbox, and
       must meet the (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.
       These new components must be approved by the PMC before
       being accepted in the endorsed repositories, and must meet the
       (TBD) goals of Apache Avalon.
       +1: nicolaken

     o Voting will follow the "standard Apache voting guidelines"
       [ be nice to refer to an Incubator doc here ]

     o All code donations [to the ASF, destined for Apache Avalon]
       arrive via the Incubator, unless the Incubator states they can
       be placed directly into Avalon.

     o Creation of an "avalon" CVS repository for new Avalon5
       codebase
       +1: nicolaken, mcconnell
       +0: cziegeler
       -0: proyal
       -1: leosimons, leif

     o Mark sandbox code clearly as being sandbox code.
       To do this we could require that components in this place are
       put in the package org.apache.avalon.sandbox.X
       This will make it very clear to users what the status of code
       is and thus they won't be misled into thinking that it is
       anything it is not.
       +1: proyal, leosimons,
       +0:
       -0:
       -1: mcconnell, leosutic, nicolaken, bloritsch

     o One of the problems that has plagued Avalon is the result
       of one-man codebases. I propose we remove almost all of these
       withing the next month. They can be moved to jakarta-commons,
       the incubator or to sourceforge as the developer wishes.

       [ no votes yet.
         we need to vote on effective codebases one by one ]

Project Mission:

What is the project's mission?  Our statement of goals/mission/vision
could arise also from the answers to the following and other questions:

       - Should we have a minimum set of requirements before components
         are released?
         +0: nicolaken

       - If yes to above then which things should be part of minimum
         requirements?

         documentation: require basic overview and user docs
         +0: nicolaken

         uptodate website: require website be updated to latest release
                           but may still host previous release docs.
         +0: nicolaken

         unit tests: (okay so this will never get consensus but ...)
         +0: nicolaken

         versioning standard: derived from
             http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
             http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/versioning.html
         +0: nicolaken

         release process: derived from
           http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/releases.html

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/release-process.html

http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/jakarta-ant/ReleaseInstructions?rev=1.9.2.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup
         +0 nicolaken

         deprecation process: (java specific?)

http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/deprecation.html
         +0: nicolaken

         CVS/Subversion branching:
           http://jakarta.apache.org/turbine/maven/development/branches.html
         +0: nicolaken

Assets:

                         avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org
                         avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org

     Web site:           http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/

     Repositories:       jakarta-avalon             (framework)
                         jakarta-avalon-testlet     (deprecated testlet)
                         jakarta-avalon-logkit      (logkit)
                         jakarta-avalon-phoenix     (phoenix)
                         jakarta-avalon-cornerstone (components)
                         jakarta-avalon-apps        (sample phoenix
applications)
                         jakarta-avalon-excalibur   (everything else)
                         avalon-sandbox             (sandbox)
                         jakarta-avalon-site        (the web site)

PMC Members:

     Berin Loritsch
     Marcus Crafter
     Carsten Ziegeler
     Jeff Turner
     Leo Sutic
     Leo Simons
     Stephen McConnell
     Nicola Ken Barozzi
     Paul Hammant
     Peter Royal

     Note: Nicola Ken Barozzi is the Chair.

PMC Members, pending Board approval:

     none yet

     [ this may become obsolete; the Board is discussing a way for the
       Chair to directly alter the PMC membership; until then, however,
       we need PMC members ratified by the board, and this tracks them ]

Active Committers:

       bloritsch,colus,cziegeler,hammant,jefft,leif,leosimons,leosutic,
       mirceatoma,mcconnell,nicolaken,proyal,vinayc

Inactive Committers (three months without commits):

       charlesb,ramc,neeme,giacomo,rana_b,froehlich,lmccay,jrudd,morpheus,
       crafterm,huw,ymikulski,mschier,stefano

Emeritus Committers (six months without commits):

       jon,fede

Invited Committers:

     none yet

Current mission/charter as approved by the board:

   RESOLVED, that the initial Avalon PMC be and hereby is tasked
   with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
   development and increased participation in the Avalon Project;
   and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the initial Avalon PMC be and hereby is tasked
   with the migration and rationalization of the Jakarta PMC
   Avalon subproject; and be it further

The complete text of the resolution that passed on Monday 18 November 2002
which created this project is:

   WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in
   the best interests of the Foundation and consistent with
   the Foundation's purpose to establish a Project Management
   open-source software related to component and service
   management, for distribution at no charge to the public.

   Committee (PMC), to be known as the "Avalon PMC", be and
   hereby is established pursuant to Bylaws of the Foundation;
   and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the Avalon PMC be and hereby is responsible
   for the creation and maintenance of software related to
   component and service management, based on software licensed
   to the Foundation; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the office of "Vice President, Avalon" be and
   hereby is created, the person holding such office to serve
   at the direction of the Board of Directors as the chair of the
   Avalon PMC, and to have primary responsibility for management
   of the projects within the scope of responsibility of the
   Avalon PMC; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the persons listed immediately below be and hereby
   are appointed to serve as the initial members of the Avalon PMC:

   * Nicola Ken Barozzi
   * Stephen McConnell
   * Leo Sutic
   * Leo Simons
   * Paul Hammant
   * Marcus Crafter
   * Carsten Ziegeler
   * Pete Royal
   * Berin Loritsch
   * Jeff Turner

   NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED, that Nicola Ken Barozzi
   be and hereby is appointed to the office of Vice President, Avalon,
   to serve in accordance with and subject to the direction of the
   Board of Directors and the Bylaws of the Foundation until death,
   resignation, retirement, removal or disqualification, or until a
   successor is appointed; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the initial Avalon PMC be and hereby is tasked
   with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to encourage open
   development and increased participation in the Avalon Project;
   and be it further

   RESOLVED, that the initial Avalon PMC be and hereby is tasked
   with the migration and rationalization of the Jakarta PMC
   Avalon subproject; and be it further

   RESOLVED, that all responsibility pertaining to the Jakarta
   Avalon sub-project and encumbered upon the Jakarta PMC are
   hereafter discharged.

#
# Local Variables:
# mode: indented-text
# tab-width: 4
# indent-tabs-mode: nil
# tab-stop-list: (4 6 8 12 16 20 24 28 32 36 40 44 48 52 56 60 64 68 72
76 80)
# End:
#

RE: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

>     o One of the problems that has plagued Avalon is the result
>       of one-man codebases. I propose we remove almost all of these
>       withing the next month. They can be moved to jakarta-commons,
>       the incubator or to sourceforge as the developer wishes.
>
>       [ no votes yet.
>         we need to vote on effective codebases one by one ]

I have asked Peter for clarification of some issues (i.e.
just what "one-man codebases" are affected by this), and
since voting has started I want to register my -1 for
now. Motivation is that

 1) The proposal is extremely vague, thus opening the
    possibility of later conflicts when a project is
    told to leave, and the one-man author objects.
    I don't want to go there.

 2) I think Avalon-sandbox is a suitable place to have
    as an alternative.

 3) We need to vote on this on a project-by-project basis.

That said, a proposal with a list of affected projects
and suggestions on where they go (Avalon sandbox or out)
would make me withdraw my -1 and change it to a +1 as
the basic idea is good.

Finally, I consider this proposal to be technical, not
procedural, as it involves the codebase, and thus
requiring concensus (instead of majority).

/LS

RE: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@inspireinfrastructure.com>.

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> APACHE AVALON PROJECT STATUS:                    -*-indented-text-*-
> Last modified at [$Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $]
[...]

I've collected current votes and this seems to be the result so far:

> Pending issues:
[...]
>     o Creation of an "avalon" CVS repository for new Avalon5
>       codebase
>       +1: nicolaken, mcconnell
>       +0: cziegeler
>       -0: proyal
>       -1: leosimons, leif
>
>     o Mark sandbox code clearly as being sandbox code.
>       To do this we could require that components in this place are
>       put in the package org.apache.avalon.sandbox.X
>       This will make it very clear to users what the status of code
>       is and thus they won't be misled into thinking that it is
>       anything it is not.
>       +1: proyal, leosimons,
>       +0:
>       -0:
>       -1: mcconnell, leosutic, nicolaken, bloritsch
>
>     o One of the problems that has plagued Avalon is the result
>       of one-man codebases. I propose we remove almost all of these
>       withing the next month. They can be moved to jakarta-commons,
>       the incubator or to sourceforge as the developer wishes.
>
>       [ no votes yet.
>         we need to vote on effective codebases one by one ]

I would really appreciate if voters could add their names to the CVS
file directly, under the item they are voting on, at least now that many
votes are being done, it would greatly simplify the chore and most
important reduce errors in the counting.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: [STATUS] (avalon) $Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> APACHE AVALON PROJECT STATUS:                    -*-indented-text-*-
> Last modified at [$Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $]
[...]

I've collected current votes and this seems to be the result so far:

> Pending issues:
[...]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> APACHE AVALON PROJECT STATUS:                    -*-indented-text-*-
> Last modified at [$Date: 2002/12/04 18:22:58 $]
[...]

I've collected current votes and this seems to be the result so far:

> Pending issues:
[...]