Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/10 17:30:48 UTC

Moving to Maven from Ant solr.build.dir Not Found

Hi Folks,
I've been tasked with moving a Solr project I know little about from Ant
to Maven. I've found all the dependencies I need and I'm not seeing any
errors in my IDE. Everything compiles and installs just fine. Problem
is, when I try to start things up in Jetty, I get errors. The first main
one I get is:

SEVERE: null:org.apache.solr.common.SolrException: No system property or
default value specified for solr.build.dir value:${solr.build.dir}/

I have:

<properties>
<build-directory>../build/solr-maven</build-directory>
</properties>

in my pom.xml, so I'm not sure why this comes up. Anyway, it's quickly
followed by:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.solr.servlet.SolrUpdateServlet

I'm not sure if the two are related, but when googling I can't seem to
find anyone with the same problem. For reference, I started the bulk of
my move from ant to maven using the instructions here
<http://uomesh.blogspot.com/2011/11/building-solr-as-maven-project.html>, and
then extrapolated from that to add in custom code and dependencies for
my project. Any ideas what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks for any help,
Eli

Re: Moving to Maven from Ant solr.build.dir Not Found

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com>.
Alright, for those interested, I got this to work using the dependencies
I mentioned before by swapping in the web.xml from the latest nightly
build and passing in parameters for my custom stuff. I'm now running
Solr with all my dependencies neatly stashed away in Maven and custom
code just built on top without having to touch ant at all. I'll try to
write up a short guide on how to do this some time soon, as it's saving
us a whole ton of hassle in terms configuration for our project, and
I'll bet it can do the same for others.

Eli

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com>.
Hey Steven,

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Eli,

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com>.
Hey Steve,

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
Hi Eli,

Posted by Eli Finkelshteyn <ie...@gmail.com>.
Update: was able to get rid of the lack of SolrUpdateServlet by moving
back to version 3.5 from 4.0-SNAPSHOT (weird-- dunno why this is missing
in 4.0), but the build dir thing is still a problem. I'm really not even
sure what I should set that to.

Eli