Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Bryan Rood <br...@quantros.com> on 2007/04/27 00:25:27 UTC

Error Running Multiple Tomcat 6.0.10 Instances on Windows: Prunsrv.c

This is my first post to this users group. I have read the posting
guide, so forgive me if I attempt a RTFM or STFW post.

I've been using tomcat 6.0.10 for 2 weeks now and read the users guide
back and forth, but I can't figure out how to get two instances to run
simultaneously.

One runs fine, let's call that production. The other won't run side by
side, let's call that staging. When I try to run the "staging" tomcat
not as a windows service, I get an error,saying there is no service.

Am I required to run tomcat 6 on windows as a service only?

When I run the "staging" tomcat on port 9090 (production is on 8080),
here is what I get in the error log. I have rebooted my machine since
installing:

[2007-04-26 14:29:24] [info] Running Service...
[2007-04-26 14:29:24] [info] Starting service...
[2007-04-26 14:29:24] [983  prunsrv.c] [error] Failed setting process
executable
[2007-04-26 14:29:24] [1202 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 2

My thought is that the production tomcat and staging tomcat are trying
to use the same executables and that is causing a problem. I renamed
tomcat6 and tomcat6w to tomcat6-stage and tomcat6w-stage respectively.

I've been on google and none of my searches reveal anyone using version
6.0.
I've also been all over:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html but
they don't say how to handle multiple installations.

Thank you in advance if anyone can point out what I am doing wrong.

Bryan Rood
IT Manager
Quantros Inc.
bryan@quantros.com
www.quantros.com
(408) 957 - 3300 ext. 230

RE: Error Running Multiple Tomcat 6.0.10 Instances on Windows: Prunsrv.c

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Bryan Rood [mailto:bryan@quantros.com]
> Subject: Error Running Multiple Tomcat 6.0.10 Instances on
> Windows: Prunsrv.c
>
> Am I required to run tomcat 6 on windows as a service only?

No, but the .exe download does not contain the scripts necessary to run
it from a command prompt.  For those, you need to use the .zip version.
The .zip does include a script for installing Tomcat as a service, so
that form of the download is the most flexible.  You can have two Tomcat
services by using different names for each if you need to, but it sounds
like you want one service (production) and one from a command prompt
(staging).

> When I run the "staging" tomcat on port 9090 (production is on 8080),

By default, there are two other ports that need changing as well: the
shutdown port (8005), and the AJP port (8009).  If you're not using AJP
to talk to a front end web server, you can just comment out that
connector.  If you've enabled the HTTPS connector, that also has to be
unique.

> My thought is that the production tomcat and staging tomcat are trying
> to use the same executables and that is causing a problem.

The executables are not a problem; they do need to have unique
configuration files, though.  See RUNNING.txt for a description of how
to configure multiple instances of Tomcat running from one installation.

 - Chuck

and its attachments from all computers.