Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu> on 2007/11/02 04:14:52 UTC

Lenya usage

I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya usage is
going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet, but
we're getting there. We currently have about 20 K-12 school districts in
the site signed up for training, and plenty more wanting to sign on.
We've been promoting it to the schools in North Dakota for a while now,
and Lenya and our support of it has reached a level that we consider
stable and complete enough to move the service forward. We've actually
gone out and done usage training at about 6 schools in the state, and
all of the teachers seem excited to use it. I need to move one site over
from a dev site to a live site to replace their old one ftp account
hosted solution that was also through us. We're requiring training as a
break to the growth of the service. I am a little worried about
eventually overloading the server, which runs over 200 static sites at
the moment.

It has taken longer than we would have liked to get to this point.
However, this is the most ambitious project we've taken on in a long
time, and we have a rather small number of people working on the
project. My self and my organization would like to thank everyone for
their work on Lenya. Once the schools get more content on their site,
I'll post a few URLs for sites running through this service. We did have
an interesting case where a different gov't organization needed a
portion of their site to be fast moving, but any changes to their site
requires lots of approval and work to do. So they are proxying part of
their site on through to a Lenya publication that we setup with their
template. Looks like it belongs to their site.

On a related note, I do have a paper proposal in for ApacheCon EU 2008
in Amsterdam on what is new in the upcoming 2.0 release and some of the
stuff I've done to deploy this to the schools in the state.

Thanks,
Richard

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Am 02.11.2007 um 12:18 schrieb Jörn Nettingsmeier:

> well, att the freiburg hackathon two days ago i joked that it's
> time for the zurich/freiburg mafia to get ready to travel to my
> hometown essen for next time. :-D
> but given the chance you'll be at apachecon old europe i'd say we
> should have a lenya hackathon in amsterdam

I find both suggestions nice.

Jürgen

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Richard Frovarp <Ri...@sendit.nodak.edu>.
Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> hi richard!
>
> Richard Frovarp wrote:
>> I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya usage
>> is going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet,
>> but we're getting there.
>
> very exciting news! are you doing continuous integration of /trunk or
> did you branch at some point?

I've been updating to the latest trunk when I feel it is stable enough
and addresses issues that we are having. I'm running r584200 at the moment.
>> On a related note, I do have a paper proposal in for ApacheCon EU
>> 2008 in Amsterdam on what is new in the upcoming 2.0 release and some
>> of the stuff I've done to deploy this to the schools in the state.
>
> well, att the freiburg hackathon two days ago i joked that it's time
> for the zurich/freiburg mafia to get ready to travel to my hometown
> essen for next time. :-D
> but given the chance you'll be at apachecon old europe i'd say we
> should have a lenya hackathon in amsterdam - do you think you'd be
> able to squeeze it in?

Essen would be good. Getting over there is contingent on my paper being
accepted. So hopefully those making the decisions like it. The
conference isn't until the beginning of April, but the time line says
they'll make a decision by the end of November.

Richard

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Jörn Nettingsmeier <ne...@apache.org>.
hi richard!

Richard Frovarp wrote:
> I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya usage is
> going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet, but
> we're getting there.

very exciting news! are you doing continuous integration of /trunk or
did you branch at some point?

> It has taken longer than we would have liked to get to this point.

ah well. i think everyone involved with lenya knows that feeling well :)
but personally i can say i'm approaching the point where lenya is a
productivity boost instead of a hindrance, and the recent development
over the last year or so has been exciting and promising.

> However, this is the most ambitious project we've taken on in a long
> time, and we have a rather small number of people working on the
> project. My self and my organization would like to thank everyone for
> their work on Lenya.

thanks to you and your valuable contributions. it's very important for
the lenya project to gain new, active deployments with the current code
base.

> We did have
> an interesting case where a different gov't organization needed a
> portion of their site to be fast moving, but any changes to their site
> requires lots of approval and work to do. So they are proxying part of
> their site on through to a Lenya publication that we setup with their
> template. Looks like it belongs to their site.

neat.

> On a related note, I do have a paper proposal in for ApacheCon EU 2008
> in Amsterdam on what is new in the upcoming 2.0 release and some of the
> stuff I've done to deploy this to the schools in the state.

well, att the freiburg hackathon two days ago i joked that it's time for
the zurich/freiburg mafia to get ready to travel to my hometown essen
for next time. :-D
but given the chance you'll be at apachecon old europe i'd say we should
have a lenya hackathon in amsterdam - do you think you'd be able to
squeeze it in?

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

   - Ken Thompson.

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Richard Frovarp wrote:

> I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya usage
> is going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet,
> but we're getting there. We currently have about 20 K-12 school
> districts in the site signed up for training, and plenty more wanting
> to sign on. We've been promoting it to the schools in North Dakota for
> a while now, and Lenya and our support of it has reached a level that
> we consider stable and complete enough to move the service forward.
> We've actually gone out and done usage training at about 6 schools in
> the state, and all of the teachers seem excited to use it. I need to
> move one site over from a dev site to a live site to replace their old
> one ftp account hosted solution that was also through us. We're
> requiring training as a break to the growth of the service. I am a
> little worried about eventually overloading the server, which runs
> over 200 static sites at the moment.
>
> It has taken longer than we would have liked to get to this point.
> However, this is the most ambitious project we've taken on in a long
> time, and we have a rather small number of people working on the
> project. My self and my organization would like to thank everyone for
> their work on Lenya. Once the schools get more content on their site,
> I'll post a few URLs for sites running through this service. We did
> have an interesting case where a different gov't organization needed a
> portion of their site to be fast moving, but any changes to their site
> requires lots of approval and work to do. So they are proxying part of
> their site on through to a Lenya publication that we setup with their
> template. Looks like it belongs to their site.
>
> On a related note, I do have a paper proposal in for ApacheCon EU 2008
> in Amsterdam on what is new in the upcoming 2.0 release and some of
> the stuff I've done to deploy this to the schools in the state.

sounds great, congratulations :-)

Michael

> Thanks,
> Richard

Michael Wechner
Wyona      -   Open Source Content Management - Yanel, Yulup
http://www.wyona.com
michael.wechner@wyona.com, michi@apache.org
+41 44 272 91 61

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Jürgen Ragaller <ra...@apache.org>.
Hi Richard

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 22:14 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya
> usage is
> going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet, but
> we're getting there. We currently have about 20 K-12 school
> districts in
> the site signed up for training, and plenty more wanting to sign on.

Very impressive, congratulations! I'm looking forward to see the
websites.

Jürgen

null-oder-eins GmbH Zürich
web & graphic design

www.null-oder-eins.ch

ragaller@apache.org
Skype: callto://ragaller

Re: Lenya usage

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@juntadeandalucia.es>.
On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 22:14 -0500, Richard Frovarp wrote:
> I thought I'd give everyone on the list an update on how Lenya usage is
> going at my site. We haven't fully gone live with our service yet, but
> we're getting there. We currently have about 20 K-12 school districts in
> the site signed up for training, and plenty more wanting to sign on.

Very nice, glad to read this success story.

salu2