Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Sandro Bordacchini <sa...@nems.it> on 2020/01/16 17:13:48 UTC

help to use apacheds as auth server with service accounts

Hello everyone.

I need to admit that I am pretty new to Apache Directory Server/Studio.
I am trying to setup an instance of Apache Directory Server to use it as an
authentication server for several applications (websites, portal, devices,
ecc.) we run in my company.

I created a tree with o=companyname, ou=users that contains all my users.
The authentication works correctly with an anonymous bind from a web
application: I set up the ldap server ip and port, base dn and mapping
between username in a test web application and the relevant attribute in
the directory server  (in this case, uid).

Now I would like to disable anonymous bind and force the test web
application (and any other auth client) login with a so-called "service
account" (i hope the terminology is correct, i mean an account that
identifies a specific service/application), without using the main admin
credentials.

So I disabled the autonomous bind and created another ou ( o=companyname,
ou=serviceAccounts ) to be populated with apps identifiers (objectclasses:
applicationProcess, simpleSecurityObject).

Now i would like to understand how to grant these service accounts the
proper permissions (ex. the ability to authenticate users and nothing else)
using AD Studio.
I used OpenLDAP a little bit in the past and there this would be probably
accomplished with some kind of olcAccess statement in an ldif.
I think I could probably use the same approach here (creating an ldif file
and importing it) but, since I would like to master AD Studio, I would love
someone to give me hints or pointing me to a nice tutorial (i found a few
ones out there, but they all focus on the users/groups create/edit
operations).

Thanks in advance for reading all of this.
SB

Re: help to use apacheds as auth server with service accounts

Posted by Sandro Bordacchini <sa...@nems.it>.
Hi Shawn,
thank you for your response.
I agree with you.

My question, maybe I was not clear enough, was also:
-) if there are any best practices about these service accounts and what
kind of permissions they need to be given
-) how to implement these permissions with AD Studio

SB

Il giorno lun 20 gen 2020 alle ore 18:33 Shawn McKinney <
smckinney@apache.org> ha scritto:

> > On Jan 16, 2020, at 11:13 AM, Sandro Bordacchini <
> sandro.bordacchini@nems.it> wrote:
> >

> > I need to admit that I am pretty new to Apache Directory Server/Studio.
>
> Hello, welcome.
>
> > I am trying to setup an instance of Apache Directory Server to use it as
> an
> > authentication server for several applications (websites, portal,
> devices,
> > ecc.) we run in my company.
> >
> > I created a tree with o=companyname, ou=users that contains all my users.
> > The authentication works correctly with an anonymous bind from a web
> > application: I set up the ldap server ip and port, base dn and mapping
> > between username in a test web application and the relevant attribute in
> > the directory server  (in this case, uid).
> >
> > Now I would like to disable anonymous bind and force the test web
> > application (and any other auth client) login with a so-called "service
> > account" (i hope the terminology is correct, i mean an account that
> > identifies a specific service/application), without using the main admin
> > credentials.
> >
> > So I disabled the autonomous bind and created another ou ( o=companyname,
> > ou=serviceAccounts ) to be populated with apps identifiers
> (objectclasses:
> > applicationProcess, simpleSecurityObject).
> >
> > Now i would like to understand how to grant these service accounts the
> > proper permissions (ex. the ability to authenticate users and nothing
> else)
> > using AD Studio.
> > I used OpenLDAP a little bit in the past and there this would be probably
> > accomplished with some kind of olcAccess statement in an ldif.
> > I think I could probably use the same approach here (creating an ldif
> file
> > and importing it) but, since I would like to master AD Studio, I would
> love
> > someone to give me hints or pointing me to a nice tutorial (i found a few
> > ones out there, but they all focus on the users/groups create/edit
> > operations).
> >
> > Thanks in advance for reading all of this.
>
> If it were me, I’d test the service accounts via an ldapv3 compliant
> client. Can you bind with the service account?  That’s one objective.  Can
> you search with the service account, that’s another.
>
> Only when you’ve verified the service accounts are able to perform the
> specified operations do you move onto integrating with 3rd party apps.
>
> —
> Shawn

[image: NEMS S.r.l.] <http://www.nems.it>

Ing. Sandro Bordacchini / System Engineering and Product Management
(+39) 347 96 96 531 / sandro.bordacchini@nems.it

NEMS S.r.l. Office: (+39) 0587 466957 ext 204 / Fax: (+39) 0587 829177
Via Squartini, 18 - 56121 Pisa (PI) Italy
http://www.nems.it

[image: Facebook] <http://vcf.nems.it/facebook.png> [image: Linkedin]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/5020065> [image: Twitter]
<http://www.twitter.com/nemssrl> [image: Google Plus]
<https://plus.google.com/117770114595753846641>

In ottemperanza con il nuovo Regolamento Europeo GDPR n. 679/2016, le
informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono riservate e confidenziali.
Il loro utilizzo è consentito esclusivamente al destinatario del messaggio,
per le finalità indicate nel messaggio stesso. Qualora Lei non fosse la
persona a cui il presente messaggio è destinato, La invitiamo ad eliminarlo
dal Suo Sistema ed a distruggere le varie copie o stampe, dandocene
gentilmente comunicazione. Ogni utilizzo improprio è contrario ai principi
del nuovo Regolamento Europeo GDPR n. 679/2016.
NEMS S.r.l. opera in conformità al nuovo Regolamento Europeo GDPR n.
679/2016. Per qualsiasi informazione a riguardo si prega di contattare
l’indirizzo mail: info@nems.it

Re: help to use apacheds as auth server with service accounts

Posted by Shawn McKinney <sm...@apache.org>.