Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Jazarine Jamal <ja...@gmail.com> on 2008/02/06 14:55:16 UTC

Newbie to Derby Testing

Hi....

I've been getting a lot of help on Testing Derby..Thanks for that...

But i'm still not able to run a single functional test.

I am a newbie into development of derby...
I've been reading the README.html under /trunk/java/testing/.

It says that the classpath requires the files called:

   - db2jcc.jar
   - db2jcc_license_c.jar

in the classpath and it says it can be obtained from this site:
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/jcc/index.html

But the link on this site is pointing to some other file called :
db2_clients_linux.zip

thus, i can't get that done too...

It will be really helpfull if someone can give me a simple walkthrough to
run a single test..

Re: Newbie to Derby Testing

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
On 2/6/08, Jazarine Jamal <ja...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi....
>
> I've been getting a lot of help on Testing Derby..Thanks for that...
>
> But i'm still not able to run a single functional test.
>
> I am a newbie into development of derby...
> I've been reading the README.html under /trunk/java/testing/.
>
> It says that the classpath requires the files called:
> db2jcc.jar
> db2jcc_license_c.jar
> in the classpath and it says it can be obtained from this site:
> http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/db2/downloads/jcc/index.html
>
> But the link on this site is pointing to some other file called :
> db2_clients_linux.zip
>
> thus, i can't get that done too...
>
> It will be really helpfull if someone can give me a simple walkthrough to
> run a single test..
Hi Jazarine,

Thank you for your diligence regarding testing...

The derby community is in the process of (gradually) converting the
tests as they were originally contributed to a junit framework. The
README.html you found refers to the original, 'old' test harness, and
is not maintained well anymore.
The db2jcc.jar and db2jcc_licence_c.jar, IBM's DRDA implementation,
are the mechanism originally used for network server connectivity; but
IBM contributed the Derby Network Client - derbyclient.jar - and that
is what is now the preferred platform.

In short, don't worry about db2jcc*.jar; the 'old' test harness will
skip any tests for it if they're not in your classpath.
Instead, you should make sure you have derbyclient.jar (or the classes
for it) in your classpath.

FYI, the junit tests are described on the wiki, e.g.:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyJUnitTesting
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTopLevelJunitTests
and
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness