Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Trevor Harmon <tr...@vocaro.com> on 2010/05/03 06:57:08 UTC

Best practices for developing Java applets with Maven

Hi,

I'm developing a plain old run-of-the-mill Java applet. Yes, just a simple stand-alone applet, not bundled with a WAR file or anything like that. I use Maven to build the class files and JAR, but what then? Is there a "standard" Maven way of loading the applet in a browser (locally) to view it and test it?

Currently I've just got an index.html file in an "html" subdirectory of the project root. The HTML loads the applet by pointing its applet tag to "../target/MyApplet-0.1-SNAPSHOT.jar". This hard-coded path bothers me, but I'm not sure how to do anything better in the "Maven way". There don't seem to be any plugins or other Maven mechanisms designed for applet development. Are there any tips or tricks I should know about?

Thanks,

Trevor