Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> on 2006/04/09 03:38:49 UTC

[m2] Releases and test builds

In another thread about Maven 1 [1] the idea of httpd- and
Tomcat-style releases came up, where a build is produced and numbered
x.x.x, and then it is later graded.  Struts has also adopted this
style of test-build/release.  And we're in the process of converting
the Struts Action 1 build to Maven 2. :)

How does Maven 2 handle this style of releasing?

Ideally, we would "release" the test build to a snapshot repository
for evaluation.  Given the amount of metadata that goes along with
Maven build artifacts, what's the best way to 're-deploy' everything
to a distribution repository once it is graded and approved as an
actual release?

[1] http://www.nabble.com/Re%3A-Maven-1.1-gold--p3813013.html

Wendy

Re: [m2] Releases and test builds

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 4/8/06, Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you should have your test repository somewhere as the default
> in the distributionManagement and deploy there, and when you decide to
> promote it, check out the tag, modify the pom, and deploy it again.
> This will rebuild the artifacts however - so I'm not sure if that's
> satisfactory.

No, it isn't.  After voting we would need those exact artifacts deployed.

> Maybe a custom deployment plugin is in order here?

Not my line of work, I'll see if I can round up a volunteer. :)
Meanwhile I can probably script 'mvn deploy:deploy-file' without too
much trouble, to get existing artifacts and poms into
dist/maven-repository.

Thanks for your help,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.
It's quite a different thing - the site is a remote rsync of two
entire directories. This is a copy of a small number of files, and
some repository metadata must be updated and most likely is not going
to be the same between the two afterwards (as the source repository
has 2.0.1, 2.0.2, 2.0.3, while the target has only the stable 2.0.3,
for examples).

The best way to do it from Maven would be to write a plugin that
downloads the original from the repository given by
<distributionManagement> and then republishes it to a new repository.
I guess this could be part of the deploy plugin, but its possible as a
custom plugin too.

The main thing is that it's not going to be fully integrated into
distributionManagement (at least until a future release)

- Brett

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@gmail.com>.