Posted to dev@hbase.apache.org by Stack <st...@duboce.net> on 2013/10/25 18:45:58 UTC

DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

At yesterday's dev meetup -- minutes to follow -- it was suggested we move
the project to git as our repo of truth.

What do folks think?  How patches are contributed and committer will have
to change to match git-flow.

Josh Eiser, an accumulo committer, was at the dev meetup yesterday and was
kind enough to write up the steps involved moving their project over.  See
the discussion on how they come up w/ a process in particular.

St.Ack

Posted by Gary Helmling <gh...@gmail.com>.
+1!!!

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
That's my understanding - keeping Hadoop QA integration.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Nicolas Liochon <nk...@gmail.com>.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'd suggest we maintain the same commit style (straight line rebased
> commits per release branch, branches off trunk for major features) after
> the move to git as opposed to the github style (lots of branch/merges).
>
> +1 to that as well. Having multiple commits and merge commits per jira will
> complicate commit log digging a lot. And we do not care about a patch's
> individual history.
>
> Will FB guys ok with this? How does this affect 0.89-fb branch.

We could leave old branches on svn.
St.Ack

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@gmail.com>.
> I'd suggest we maintain the same commit style (straight line rebased
commits per release branch, branches off trunk for major features) after
the move to git as opposed to the github style (lots of branch/merges).

+1 to that as well. Having multiple commits and merge commits per jira will
complicate commit log digging a lot. And we do not care about a patch's
individual history.

Will FB guys ok with this? How does this affect 0.89-fb branch.

Enis

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Sergey Shelukhin <se...@hortonworks.com>.
+1, also only use svn to commit

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Enis Söztutar <en...@apache.org>.
+1000.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Nick Dimiduk <nd...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM, Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> I'd suggest we maintain the same commit style (straight line rebased
> commits per release branch, branches off trunk for major features) after
> the move to git as opposed to the github style (lots of branch/merges).

I also prefer git. I'll second Jon's recommendation here of maintaining a
straight line version history too.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Jonathan Hsieh <jo...@cloudera.com>.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Elliott Clark <ec...@apache.org>.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by 黄浩松 <ha...@gmail.com>.

--
Best Regards,
Haosdent Huang

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com>.
+1 too.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Jesse Yates <je...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
-------------------
Jesse Yates

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by ramkrishna vasudevan <ra...@gmail.com>.
+1 from me.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Talat UYARER <ta...@agmlab.com>.
Hi Stack,

I am volunteer for conversion.

Talat

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
I'd say the vote carries.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Talat UYARER <ta...@agmlab.com>.
+1
Local development very easy With git. And I can try some patches just
creating local branch.

Re: DISCUSSION: Move to GIT?

Posted by Lars George <la...@gmail.com>.
+1, same for me