Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Angel Tsankov <fn...@fmi.uni-sofia.bg> on 2008/12/05 10:16:47 UTC

Recommended location of a repository and the working copy

Hello,

Sometimes I create a Subversion repository even for programs that I
write for
my own usage.  In these cases, I wonder where to put the repo and the
working copy.  I usually hesitate between the following options:

-- put the working copy in "software/my_prog_1/working_copy" and the
repository in
"software/my_prog_1/svn_repository";
-- put the working copy in "software/my_prog_1" and the repository in
"svn_repositories/my_prog_1";
-- put the working copy in "projects/my_prog_1/working_copy" and the
repository in
"projects/my_prog_1/svn_repository";
-- put the working copy in "projects/my_prog_1" and the repository in
"svn_repositories/my_prog_1".

What locations would you recomment and why?

Regards,
Angel Tsankov

Re: Recommended location of a repository and the working copy

Posted by Jack Repenning <jr...@collab.net>.
On Dec 5, 2008, at 2:16 AM, Angel Tsankov wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Sometimes I create a Subversion repository even for programs that I
> write for
> my own usage.  In these cases, I wonder where to put the repo and the
> working copy.  I usually hesitate between the following options:

> What locations would you recomment and why?

I'm not sure I follow your examples closely enough to pick among them,
but what I in fact do is this: I have a single repository for all this
kind of stuff.  In fact, it archives the bulk of my home directory as
well. It's stored on my home computer, physically at /svn/myname and
accessible only via svn+ssh://user@hostname/svn/myname/ URLs. Projects
are stored in the repo at URLs like svn+ssh://user@host/svn/myname/
trunk/home/src/ProjectName/.  My login directory on Unix-like systems
is checked out from svn+ssh://user@host/svn/myname/trunk/home/, and so
projects are checked out to my workstation (or any other computer) at
~/src/ProjectName/.

A simpler, single-computer arrangement (and what this boils down to
when I'm actually working on my home computer) would be

Repo Physical storage: /svn/myname
Repo URL: file:///svn/myname
Project URL: file:///svn/myname/home/src/Project

The /svn/ directory on my home computer is backed up frequently.

I do this because working copies and IDE project directories are, in
my view, ephemeral: I may remove them at any time, I may want several
(e.g., for different tasks or branches), I may want to use the cool
new SVN 1.5 sparse directory features so as not to check out
absolutely everything everywhere every time, and so on. Similarly,
repositories are just the opposite: eternal, critical for backup, one-
and-only-one-copy, and so on. The last thing in the world you'd want,
it seems to me, is to have the same admin policies for the repo and
one of its working copies!

-==-
Jack Repenning
jackrepenning@tigris.org