Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Cedric Foll <ce...@ac-rouen.fr> on 2005/01/26 17:58:55 UTC

Disabling unused rules

Re: Disabling unused rules

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@evi-inc.com>.
At 11:58 AM 1/26/2005, Cedric Foll wrote:
>'ve had a look on my log files generated by spamassassin and half of
>the rules found in 50_scores.fr are almost never used.
>
>So ofr all these rules I've had a
>score the_rule 0
>In my local.cf. The file local.cf is used by spamassassin.
>
>My question:
>         -When a score of 0 is put. The rule is really bypassed by
> spamassassin ?
>         -Such thing is effective for performance ? I didn't notice a
>difference. My amavisd processes have same size (50 Mo in memory) and
>process time seem to be the same.

Yes, the score 0 rules really are bypassed. However, removing a few rules
from the ruleset will not significantly impact SA's size. You really need
to add/remove a significant volume of rules to impact SA's running by more
than 1MB. Bigger factors for most folks are bayes and awl database sizes.

Re: Disabling unused rules

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@kluge.net>.
On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 05:58:55PM +0100, Cedric Foll wrote:
> 	-When a score of 0 is put. The rule is really bypassed by
> 	spamassassin ?

Yes.  Rules with a score of 0 aren't run.

> 	-Such thing is effective for performance ? I didn't notice a
> difference. My amavisd processes have same size (50 Mo in memory) and
> process time seem to be the same.

Yes and no.  Your system won't spend time running the rules (most of
which take almost no time at all), but the rules are still in memory.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
When the chips are down, the buffalo's empty.