Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2002/10/25 20:44:42 UTC

Commiting recent changes (was: Code change the Apache way)

> > Are we near to seeing stuff commited.. ?
> > apart from the obvious fact that some contentious
> > items can be vetoed *after* commit, I'd say that
> > as long as it builds we should be commiting often.

I generally agree, Danny, and found that to be one of the more frustrating
thing.

Generally speaking, how easy or hard it is it to allow posting proposed
changes into the proposals/ tree, and automating the build?  Something that
would let me say, "./build <proposal>", and have a build made from the HEAD
with the proposed changes applied.  What would be involved, and is this a
viable approach?

> What I will do is post the latest, greatest code

Sounds good, Peter.  As soon as I get it, I should have time to work on the
promised Scheduler <-> Watchdog adaption.

Harmeet, since FetchPOP does use the Scheduler in the way it is designed to
work, I think you do need to address the problem I have mentioned about it
not working properly when inserting a time earlier than the current head of
the list.  Until that is resolved, I don't think that it can replace the
general Scheduler Block.

	--- Noel

RE: Commiting recent changes (was: Code change the Apache way)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Harmeet,

The Avalon Scheduler doesn't leak.  It gets flooded.  Big difference.
FetchPOP doesn't cause flooding.

In any event, my point is that if anyone is going to be able to use your
Scheduler instead of the default from Avalon, that you'll have to fix that
bug.

	--- Noel

> Harmeet, since FetchPOP does use the Scheduler in the way it is designed
> to work, I think you do need to address the problem I have mentioned
> about it not working properly when inserting a time earlier than the
> current head of the list.  Until that is resolved, I don't think that
> it can replace the general Scheduler Block.

If we are going to live with the scheduler, it may be a good idea to have
the bug fixed version that was posted rather than the current one with
memory leak.

Harmeet

Re: Commiting recent changes (was: Code change the Apache way)

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <ha...@kodemuse.com>.