Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Petrovic <ms...@gmail.com> on 2006/05/13 01:44:44 UTC

Tomcat 5.5.17 server.xml: constraints on Engine name attribute?

Good day.

As a glutton for punishment, I pruned the comments out of the
server.xmlfile so I could take it in with one glance.

While I was at it, I also changed the Engine name="Catalina" attribute to
something else ("X"), and found that I received a 404 Not Found when I went
to login to the Manager app.

Thinking that Engine name and enclosing Service name had to be the same (tho
the docs do not indicate this), I changed Service name to "X".  Still 404
Not found when I seek to /manager/html.

I have tentatively concluded that the Engine name *must* be "Catalina" for
/manager/html to function properly.

The other sample apps, jsp/servlet/webdav, seem to work fine with other
Engine names.

Can someone verify this effect, please?  Or tell me where I'm going wrong in
thinking the Engine name can be other than Catalina.

Thank you.

--
Mark
AE6RT

Re: Tomcat 5.5.17 server.xml: constraints on Engine name attribute?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
It's simply that the manager.xml file is under
$CATALINA_HOME/conf/Catalina/localhost.  When you change the Engine name,
Tomcat looks under $CATALINA_HOME/conf/X/localhost, and doesn't find a
manager.xml file there, so it doesn't deploy the manager webapp.