Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Paul Spillman - Software Engineer - Sun UK <pa...@sun.com> on 2001/12/18 14:44:21 UTC

[Fwd: RE: Dependency analysis]

Ignore what I said below. I didn't read what you was trying to do right.
:)
Can you not do something like:

<target name="all" depends="init, compile, prep_work, borland,
weblogic"/>

Posted by Paul Philion <ph...@acmerocket.com>.
Mark,

Not to quibble, but (IMHO) that's one of the main points of declarative
systems. The developers declares the dependencies and the system is
responsible to figuring out how to make it happen correctly. Sure, it's a
little inside-out from a structural point of view, but it makes it easier to
maintain large, complex systems because each node is as independent as it
could be.

Just one developers opinion,

- Paul Philion

Posted by Diane Holt <ho...@yahoo.com>.
--- Mark McMillan <ma...@engineous.com> wrote:
> Oh, I missed the extra dependency you added.  Yes, I think that would
> work, although I don't like the way it will make the build file very
> fragmented (for some one to figure out what ALL does, they have to find
> and examine each dependency rather than just read what is inside the
> ALL target). I prefer the clarity of the <do> task, but I see how it
> could be done just using dependencies.

Not trying to be argumentative, just wondering how having:
  <antcall target="weblogic"/>
or even
  <do target="weblogic"/>
says any more about what the "weblogic" target does than including it in
the list of depends would, or why having it that way would obviate the
need for someone to "find and examine" it to see what it does do.

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)

Re: [Fwd: RE: Dependency analysis]

Posted by Mark McMillan <ma...@engineous.com>.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <ja...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
But the processing would go in the 'prep_work' target, that was the idea of
the example shown, rather than the 'all' target.  See??

Posted by Paul Spillman - Software Engineer - Sun UK <pa...@sun.com>.

Posted by Mark McMillan <ma...@engineous.com>.