Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by "Kevin M. Myer" <km...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/15 20:49:02 UTC

Ofbiz usage in trucking companies?

Hello,

I tested Ofbiz about a year ago, and liked what I saw, from the
perspective that it's open-source, is built upon a well thought out
data model, and has the potential to be extended as needed.  For our
business units, we could be viewed as a manufacturer, sales/service
for the construction industry, and we maintain our own trucking fleet.
 Ofbiz could handle the first two areas, but from what I can see, the
shipping portions are geared towards using a third-party for shipping.
 Hence, once the order is shipped, the third-party probably has some
sort of logistics software to handle their portion of the process.

Since we are the third-party shipper in many cases, I'd be interested
in hearing about any transport companies that might be using Ofbiz for
their business.  In the absence of any such companies, I'd be
interested in opinions on the scope of work needed to add some of this
functionality.  A bare minimum set of feature requirements would be to
have the ability to extend the current sales order workflow to include
an enhanced shipping module, where routes, bills of lading, etc. could
all be set or generated, and where constraints, like product weights,
could be utilized in putting together truck loads.

I seem to recall a list discussion last year about someone who was
looking at using Ofbiz for a trucking company, but my memory could be
faulty, or that research may have never come to fruition.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin

Re: Ofbiz usage in trucking companies?

Posted by "Vince M. Clark" <vc...@globalera.com>.
Kevin

Glad to see you are considering OfBiz for your project.

I have done quite a bit of work with open source ERP systems in transportation companies, both air and ground. I would be happy to talk about your needs and how they might be solved using OfBiz.

Please email me directly with some times that work for you next week.