Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> on 2010/03/01 19:50:08 UTC

[vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1

I have created signed source archives for revision r917296 of the
java6 branch and made them available at:

  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/milestones/6.0M1/

Please test these artifacts and then vote for declaring these source
archives as 6.0 Milestone 1.

This vote will be open for at least three days, or until all binding
votes have been cast (if earlier).

If the vote is successful, binary builds from these artifacts will be
made available on the download page.

Regards,
 Mark.

Re: [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1 from me

Tested using Windows XP SP3 with VS2003.  Test results were same as the
5.0M13 test results.  Sig, and checksums ok.

Regards,
Tim

Posted by "Jimmy,Jing Lv" <fi...@gmail.com>.
+1 looks fine on my windows xp 32 sp2

--

Best Regards!

Jimmy, Jing Lv
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Re: [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
+1

I built and tested on Windows XP x86 and see no unexpected failures.

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin
Unless stated otherwise above:

Re: [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.
+1

Built and tested on Windows XP SP3, VS2008

Re: [general] Release process (was [result][vote]Declare r917296 as 6.0M1)

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 09/03/2010, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

>  In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
>  >
>  > I appreciate sebb's review and comments.  It would have been good to
>  > hear them during the two week freeze leading up to the vote rather
>  > than after the vote was concluded :-)
>
>  This comment isn't entirely fair.

Thanks!

In all other TLPs that I follow, the process is to create a full
release candidate with hashes and sigs etc. as well as a release tag.

The whole bundle can then be reviewed as an item, and any discrepancies noted.
[For example - the source archive does not match the tag]
Blocking problems are fixed, and the process repeated with a new
release candidate and tag. Other problems may or may not be fixed.

When the release candidate passes, the artifacts can be released, and
the SVN tag is renamed as the release tag.

Obviously, if problems are noticed earlier then they can be reported
earlier, but it is expected that release candidates will fail from
time to time.

I'd just add that fixing AL issues may be a bit of a pain initially,
but should be a one-off.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <3b...@mail.gmail.com>, Natha
n Beyer writes:

> On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 9:38 AM, Mark Hindess
> <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> > In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:
> >>
> >> I appreciate sebb's review and comments.  It would have been good
> >> to hear them during the two week freeze leading up to the vote
> >> rather than after the vote was concluded :-)
> >
> > This comment isn't entirely fair.  Sebb's initial review comments
> > were about the binaries which we only created after the release was
> > "completed".  This is one reason why I had more sympathy for his
> > view that the release should be cancelled.
> >
> > I also appreciate sebb's comments.  So, while he could have made them
> > by building our source and reviewing the resulting binaries, perhaps
> > we should attempt to make this kind of review easier?
>
> Don't we have binary builds coming out of Hudson periodically?

Indeed.  Though they are built from svn directly rather than from svn
via source artifacts, so I worry we'd miss something that would affect
the release.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Distributing milestones

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 09/Mar/2010 15:57, Mark Hindess wrote:

> >> Will do.
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> The binaries look sane to me.  Basic sniff testing works fine.

Okay.  I populated the /dist/ tree at 17:20 UTC.

> (It would be advisable to upgrade your signing key to 4096bit at some
> point.)

Yes.  That's on my todo list.

Thanks,

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Re: Distributing milestones (was: Re: [result] [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1)

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> On 09/Mar/2010 14:53, Mark Hindess wrote:
> >
> > It feels like we have some consensus.  So, please can people sanity
> > check the binary artifacts in:
> >
> >   http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/milestones/
>
> Will do.

Thanks.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <4B...@googlemail.com>, Oliver Deakin writes:

> Just back from a week's vacation and catching up on this thread...
>
> On 09/03/2010 13:58, Tim Ellison wrote:
> >
> > Sorry for coming late to this thread, I hope I've caught up on
> > the progress made so far, and let me start by saying "thanks" for
> > addressing these single-handedly!

No problem.  If we were going to redo the release I wanted to be ready
sooner rather than later.

There are still plenty of issues to fix but I might slow down a bit now.

> > On 09/Mar/2010 10:16, Mark Hindess wrote:
> >
> >> <SNIP>

> >> I'd still *really* like the opinions of the others who voted
> >> and Harmony PMC members.  Do you think this should block the
> >> already-voted-for release?
> >
> > No.  I don't see which of these would invalidate the release we
> > already voted.  I appreciate sebb's review and comments.  It would
> > have been good to hear them during the two week freeze leading up to
> > the vote rather than after the vote was concluded :-)
> >
> > The comments are in the most part valid (order of entries in a JAR
> > is a bit extreme IMHO), and the most important are probably missing
> > standard headers.  Even so, these are informational and do not alter
> > the status of the code in the release, so it is correct to fix them
> > so we are in adherence of the foundation policy, but they should not
> > block 6.0M1.
>
> +1. It's great that Sebb has raised these issues, but I don't think
> they are blockers for the M1 we have already voted on. I vote for
> fixing them in the M2 release and going ahead with M1 as is (although
> I do agree, the incorrect year in the notice file is annoying).
>
> Were all the errors listed in this thread detected by the RAT tool?
> Would it be possible to automate this tool as part of our Hudson
> builds so we find out about issues as soon as they are introduced?

FYI: you can run rat on the federated build source with:

  RAT_HOME=/path/to/rat/built/svn/checkout \
    ant -lib $RAT_HOME/target/apache-rat-0.7-SNAPSHOT.jar \
        -Drat.home=$RAT_HOME rat

It creates a report in target/rat.report.txt.

> >> I think stopping an already-voted-for release sets a bad precedent
> >> Testing should happen before/during the vote and if more time is
> >> required then people should ask (as Tim did).  However, also I want
> >> to make a good release.
> >
> > We all do, and again, all constructive comments are welcome.  Each
> > release has known issues, there is a call to make on what should
> > block us making progress.
> >
> >> I will *not* be making this decision one way or another until I get
> >> some indication of the opinions of others who voted.
> >
> > My opinion is release 6.0M1 as originally voted.  Fix these issues
> > in the open stream and thank contributors for making M2 so much
> > better.

That was my opinion too but it didn't seem right push ahead when the
only other "voice" was opposed.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <25...@mail.gmail.com>,
sebb writes:

> On 06/03/2010, Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> >
> >  Thanks Sebb.
> >
> >  In message <25...@mail.gmail.com>,
> >
> > sebb writes:
> >  >
> >  > The NOTICE file is out of date:
> >  >
> >  > Apache Harmony
> >  > Copyright 2006, 2009 The Apache Software Foundation.
> >

> > Fixed in trunk source trees. Merges should fix the other instances.
> >

> >  > There's a META-INF directory with N&L files in tools-src.jar but not
> >  > in tools.jar
> >

> > Which tools.jar in which artifact is missing N&L files?  Looking at the
> >  jar tasks in working_jdktools/modules/{jre,jdk}tools/build.xml both the
> >  tools.jar and tools-src.jar tasks look to have the manifest elements I'd
> >  expect and looking at a sample of the artifacts the jdk/lib/tools.jar
> >  and jre/ lib/tools.jar files seem to have the N&L files.
>
> Sorry, my mistake, they do have META-INF directories and N&L files.
>
> However the following Manifest entry is wrong:
>
> Implementation-URL: http://incubator.apache.org/harmony
>
> jdtstup*.jar have the same obsolete entries in their Manifests:

Fixed in r919839.

> Ideally all the META-INF entries should be added together at the
> beginning of the archive - at present the Manifest is first, and N&L
> are last. Definitely not a blocker.

Aside from aesthetics, why?

> >  > The MANIFEST.MF files should ideally contain details for the
> >  > following headers:
> >  >
> >  > Specification-Title
> >  > Specification-Version
> >  > Specification-Vendor
> >  > Implementation-Title
> >  > Implementation-Version
> >  > Implementation-Vendor
> >  > Implementation-Vendor-Id
> >  >
> >  > Not relevant for source jars:
> >  > X-Compile-Source-JDK
> >  > X-Compile-Target-JDK
> >

> > These will take a bit more effort; A JIRA should probably be targeted to
> >  the next release to cover this task.
> >

> Only the Specification-Vendor and X-Compile headers are missing, so
> probably quite easy to add these.

You'd think it would be quite easy, with only 120 <jar> tasks to
correct.  However, I'm not exactly sure what X-Compile headers would be
appropriate for modules like pack200.jar which have some code compiled
with 1.4/1.4 and some compiled with 1.5/1.5.  I'd welcome your opinion.

> >  > There are a lot of source files that don't have AL headers, for
> >  > example:
> >  >
> >  > working_classlib/depends/libs/build/fetch-awt-depends.sh
> >
> > This one is trivial and can be removed now.  I wont do it right away
> >  because I think the README in the same directory also needs work too.

I've removed the script but left the README to be addressed later.

> >  > working_classlib/doc/harmony.css
> >  > working_classlib/doc/hydoxygen.css
> >

> > I'm not sure whether these are generated.  Certainly according to
> >  google, the hydoxygen.css comment "end styling for detailed member
> >  documentation" appears in non-ALv2 files, though some ALv2 files too.

I'm still not sure about these.

> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/java/sql/SQLClientInfoExceptionTest.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/StatementEventTest.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockNClob.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockRowId.java
> >  > working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax/sql/rowset/MockSQLXML.java

Fixed in r919849.

> >  > working_vm/vm/tests/ncai/funcs/**

Fixed in r919853 subject to merging from trunk.

> > Will have to have a closer look at these but I suspect most are just
> >  missing headers.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-6463 - JIRA with the
> full list attached.

Aside: Quite a few of the files RAT complains about are empty except for
whitespace.  Perhaps RAT should skip these?

I'll get to the rest when I get more time.

> >  > Perhaps some of these are not ASF source, but it looks like many
> >  > of them are.
> >

> > I'm assuming most of these shouldn't stop the already-voted-for
> >  releases.
>
> IMO having so many missing AL headers is a blocker.

Thanks for the clarification.  I assumed you thought that or you
wouldn't have raised these issues on a [vote] thread. ;-)

I was really soliciting the opinions of the others who voted and Harmony
PMC members.

> >  The NOTICE year is rather annoying though.  What do other
> >  people think?

?

Regards,
 Mark.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
Thanks Sebb.

In message <25...@mail.gmail.com>,
sebb writes:

> The NOTICE file is out of date:
>
> Apache Harmony
> Copyright 2006, 2009 The Apache Software Foundation.

Fixed in trunk source trees. Merges should fix the other instances.

> There's a META-INF directory with N&L files in tools-src.jar but not
> in tools.jar

Which tools.jar in which artifact is missing N&L files?  Looking at the
jar tasks in working_jdktools/modules/{jre,jdk}tools/build.xml both the
tools.jar and tools-src.jar tasks look to have the manifest elements I'd
expect and looking at a sample of the artifacts the jdk/lib/tools.jar
and jre/ lib/tools.jar files seem to have the N&L files.

> The MANIFEST.MF files should ideally contain details for the following
> headers:
>
> Specification-Title
> Specification-Version
> Specification-Vendor
> Implementation-Title
> Implementation-Version
> Implementation-Vendor
> Implementation-Vendor-Id
>
> Not relevant for source jars:
> X-Compile-Source-JDK
> X-Compile-Target-JDK

These will take a bit more effort; A JIRA should probably be targeted to
the next release to cover this task.

> There are a lot of source files that don't have AL headers, for
> example:
>
> working_classlib/depends/libs/build/fetch-awt-depends.sh

This one is trivial and can be removed now.  I wont do it right away
because I think the README in the same directory also needs work too.

> working_classlib/doc/harmony.css
> working_classlib/doc/hydoxygen.css

I'm not sure whether these are generated.  Certainly according to
google, the hydoxygen.css comment "end styling for detailed member
documentation" appears in non-ALv2 files, though some ALv2 files too.

> working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/java/
> sql/SQLClientInfoExceptionTest.java
> working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax
> /sql/StatementEventTest.java
> working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax
> /sql/rowset/MockNClob.java
> working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax
> /sql/rowset/MockRowId.java
> working_classlib/modules/sql/src/test/java/org/apache/harmony/sql/tests/javax
> /sql/rowset/MockSQLXML.java
>
> working_vm/vm/tests/ncai/funcs/**

Will have to have a closer look at these but I suspect most are just
missing headers.

> Perhaps some of these are not ASF source, but it looks like many of
> them are.

I'm assuming most of these shouldn't stop the already-voted-for
releases.  The NOTICE year is rather annoying though.  What do other
people think?

-Mark

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
+1

Built and tested on linux x86/64 and x86.  Debian packages built on
etch/x86 and etch/x86_64 and tested.

Tested with eclipse, our build and dacapo benchmarks.

Posted by Mark Hindess <ma...@googlemail.com>.
In message <4B...@gmail.com>, Tim Ellison writes:

> Please may I have a bit of time to test this?  I expect to have my
> results by tomorrow and will decide based on that.

Sure.  Let's extend the vote for 6.0M1 for a day.

Regards,
 Mark.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Charles Lee <li...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Yours sincerely,
Charles Lee

Re: [vote] Declare r917296 as 6.0 Milestone 1

Posted by Ray Chen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

<ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I have created signed source archives for revision r917296 of the
> java6 branch and made them available at:
>
>  http://people.apache.org/~hindessm/milestones/6.0M1/
>
> Please test these artifacts and then vote for declaring these source
> archives as 6.0 Milestone 1.
>
> This vote will be open for at least three days, or until all binding
> votes have been cast (if earlier).
>
> If the vote is successful, binary builds from these artifacts will be
> made available on the download page.
>
> Regards,
>  Mark.

Ray Chen