Posted to dev@cassandra.apache.org by Benedict <be...@apache.org> on 2022/10/01 12:50:38 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding dependency on agrona

I agree we need to be cautious about permitting overlapping functionality. I think if there are other utilities that duplicate existing functionality we should have a similar discussion on list before we begin using it, even after including the library. Perhaps even our wording around seeking input should be modified to include functionality present in a dependency but unused, and that may duplicate existing functionality.

I am unconvinced it would be worthwhile replacing the use of ByteBuffer more generally within the codebase though, as Project Valhalla will likely cause us to revisit our internal APIs significantly - and that may arrive in some form within the next couple of years. So the value of the churn of changing implementation is unlikely to be high.

That said, isolated subsystems could probably use it if we think it’s superior for the time being.

Just my 2c.

Posted by Josh McKenzie <jm...@apache.org>.
> Providing some guidance seems like a reasonable step to take. Would that be in our coding guidelines
To my knowledge we don't currently codify guidance on idiomatic usage of various things in the project, but if we did, that'd probably be the place to put them.

Also, fwiw, I think we should. The more we can help bring new contributors up to speed and improve the consistency of the codebase in general the better.

Posted by Dinesh Joshi <dj...@apache.org>.

Posted by Derek Chen-Becker <de...@chen-becker.org>.