Posted to apache-bugdb@apache.org by St...@hyperreal.com, Hugo <hu...@hunterlink.net.au> on 1997/04/02 09:40:03 UTC

other/299: server stops serving for a period and then resumes with no messages

	The contract type is `' with a response time of 3 business hours.
	A first analysis should be sent before: Wed Apr 02 11:00:03 PST 1997

>Number:         299
>Category:       other
>Synopsis:       server stops serving for a period and then resumes with no messages
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
The web server stops serving documents. Connections continue to be accepted,
however, no data is returned.

This typically lasts about 20 minutes and then goes away.

Killing a child or sending a SIGHUP will cause the server to resume (Signal?)

The parent is typically in a wait call.

The same problem was experienced with 1.1.3

This resembles PR256 which was reported on BSDi

In addition to this, we seem to have hit a limit in virtual servers of about 22
when more than this are confiugred up, you get a 'Can't bind to xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'
on the last  VIP in the http.conf file. This also happens with 1.1.3. Chnaging
the memory allocation size from 8k to 16k increases the number of servers that
can be configured.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unsure. Generally it seems to happen when the server has been up for more than
6 hours. however it has also happened a couple of times within this period.
>Fix:
Chnaging the memory allocation size from 8k to 16k increases the number of
servers that can be configured.

Unfortunatley,  no other pointers are availible