Posted to solr-dev@lucene.apache.org by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> on 2009/05/13 15:10:18 UTC

Solr 1.4

Seems like we're reaching critical mass again, but there is a lot of
issues that are open, or not even marked.

Do people think we can shoot for 1.4 in the coming month (say mid-
June)?  I'm happy (OK, maybe happy isn't the word, how about willing)
to be the RM again.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa for
what's currently on 1.4, 1.5 and unscheduled.  The unscheduled section
is particularly large, IMO.  So, we should work through these areas.

WDYT?

-Grant

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Ryan McKinley <ry...@gmail.com>.
As a general rule any feature/API from 1.3 that you are using in 1.4
should work on /trunk -- any chances to this are always in CHANGES.txt

The place were you get in to murky water is with new features/API
since the previous release -- in this case, you will need to follow
the JIRA issues to have a sense of how "stable" the specific feature is.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
Agreed.  I think we are all in that boat!  Never enough time to do all
the things we want to do.

Cheers,
Grant

RE: Solr 1.4

Posted by "Eger, Patrick" <pe...@automotive.com>.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I also planned on starting a discussion about the particular
version and features of Lucene that Solr is using on lucene-dev before
Solr releases.

-Yonik

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

RE: Solr 1.4

Posted by "Eger, Patrick" <pe...@automotive.com>.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@corp.aol.com>.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Jacob Singh <ja...@gmail.com>.
> It's not like anything all that magical necessarily happens with a release.
>  Sure, we package up the bits and there is some legal ramifications, I
> suppose, but the software is more or less the same.  In other words, most
> people should be fine with trunk, or some recent revision. In fact if more
> people tried out trunk, it would be faster to release b/c we would have more
> vetting done.

We (Acquia) have been using a 1.4 nightlies (updating every month or
so) since January 15th in production.

We haven't had any problems with builds that pass tests at all.
Granted, we're not doing sharding, field collapsing or some other
features which may be "advanced", but we are using java replication in
multicore heavily and have played around a bit with the Tika extension
without issues.

Best,
Jacob

--

+1 510 277-0891 (o)
+91 9999 33 7458 (m)

web: http://pajamadesign.com

Skype: pajamadesign
Yahoo: jacobsingh
AIM: jacobsingh
gTalk: jacobsingh@gmail.com

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

RE: Solr 1.4

Posted by "Eger, Patrick" <pe...@automotive.com>.
+2

This would be very much appreciated by your users, I at least was
expecting March :-) We were hoping to release with 1.4 (specifically for
java replication and field collapsing) but had to redo some plans since
it seemed to keep slipping. Not complaining, just FYI on our experiences

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Yonik Seeley <ys...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org> wrote:
> Seems like we're reaching critical mass again, but there is a lot of issues
> that are open, or not even marked.
>
> Do people think we can shoot for 1.4 in the coming month (say mid-June)?

+1

I was sort of shooting for the end of May, but schedules do tend to
slip a bit around here :-)

-Yonik

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
FYI, I've moved issues marked for 1.3.1 to 1.4 or 1.5 as appropriate.

I've deleted the 1.3.1 version from Jira because I don't think we are going
to release a 1.3.1 now.

The following are the issues which were raised with affects version as
1.3.1. I've marked them as affecting 1.3

SOLR-895        DataImportHandler does not import multiple documents
specified in db-data-config.xml
SOLR-892     PHPResponseWriter fails to serialize boolean vars for
spellcheck output

The following were the issues which were marked for 1.3.1 as fix version.
I've marked them as fixed in 1.4

SOLR-843        SynonymFilterFactory cannot handle multiple synonym files
correctly
SOLR-840     BinaryResponseWriter does not handle nulls with shards as it
does locally
SOLR-830     snappuller picks bad snapshot name
SOLR-800     concurrentmodification exception for XPathEntityprocessor while
streaming
SOLR-794     ClientUtils.escapeQueryChars escapes chars a bit aggressive
SOLR-789     The javadoc of RandomSortField is not readable
SOLR-787     SolrJ POM refers to stax parser
SOLR-779     SolrQuery#setHighlightRequireFieldMatch() should be renamed to
SolrQuery#getHighlightRequireFieldMatch().
SOLR-778     Wrong parameter name in SolrQuery#getFacetMinCount().
SOLR-776     Maven Artifacts need to be signed.
SOLR-751     WordDelimiterFilter doesn't adjust startOffset

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> On May 13, 2009, at 2:59 PM, Shalin Shekhar Mangar wrote:
>

>>> See https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa for what's
>>> currently on 1.4, 1.5 and unscheduled.  The unscheduled section is
>>> particularly large, IMO.  So, we should work through these areas.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>

>> I wouldn't want to add any more issues to 1.4 unless it is a critical bug.
>> We have enough features already.
>>

> Agreed, but we still need to review them.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.

Re: Solr 1.4

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>wrote:

> Seems like we're reaching critical mass again, but there is a lot of issues
> that are open, or not even marked.
>
> Do people think we can shoot for 1.4 in the coming month (say mid-June)?
>  I'm happy (OK, maybe happy isn't the word, how about willing) to be the RM
> again.

deja-vu!

+1