Posted to user@karaf.apache.org by Tim Jones <ti...@mccarthy.co.nz> on 2016/08/01 04:31:28 UTC

Re: What to use with Karaf : blueprint or Spring

Have a read of
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Spring-vs-Blueprint-td4035374.html

I assume you mean SpringDM as opposed to using the Spring libraries alone.
Support for SpringDM has been discontinued and of the box SpringDM only
supports up to but not including Spring V4. There is some recent work on
using Spring name spaces within Blueprint see
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/aries-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCAA66TppfYb33D7M234DDEuGxA6dj5Jv24M09VV7u77DbjLOApw@mail.gmail.com%3E
so it may be possible to use Spring V4 libraries within Blueprint.

I am not familar enough with Blueprint to answer if it is as 'powerful' as
Spring but I am sure my son would be able to tell you which Super Hero would
win.

Although Blueprint would probably provide the path of least resistance if
you are intending migrating from SpringDM, there are other alternatives such
as Declarative Services which is worth giving serious consideration.

Tim

Re: What to use with Karaf : blueprint or Spring

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi,

Spring DM is now deprecated. The blueprint-spring-extender support 99%
(or even more) of elements and features of spring-dm.

If you are looking for OSGi IoC, blueprint is the right choice.

Depending of what you are looking for (proxy or not proxy for services,
annotations, ...), DS is also a very good approach.

Regards
JB

On 08/01/2016 06:31 AM, Tim Jones wrote:
> Have a read of
> http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Spring-vs-Blueprint-td4035374.html
>
> I assume you mean SpringDM as opposed to using the Spring libraries alone.
> Support for SpringDM has been discontinued and of the box SpringDM only
> supports up to but not including Spring V4. There is some recent work on
> using Spring name spaces within Blueprint see
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/aries-dev/201511.mbox/%3CCAA66TppfYb33D7M234DDEuGxA6dj5Jv24M09VV7u77DbjLOApw@mail.gmail.com%3E
> so it may be possible to use Spring V4 libraries within Blueprint.
>
> I am not familar enough with Blueprint to answer if it is as 'powerful' as
> Spring but I am sure my son would be able to tell you which Super Hero would
> win.
>
> Although Blueprint would probably provide the path of least resistance if
> you are intending migrating from SpringDM, there are other alternatives such
> as Declarative Services which is worth giving serious consideration.
>
> Tim

Jean-Baptiste Onofr
jbonofre@apache.org
http://blog.nanthrax.net