Posted to dev@xmlbeans.apache.org by Yana Kadiyska <yk...@bea.com> on 2005/01/14 22:16:57 UTC

XPath 2.0 Path

Hi all,

Attached is a patch that hooks up Saxon (an XPath2.0 and XQuery engine)
to XmlBeans. The patch also contains changes that enable automatic
download of saxon8.1.1.

Thanks to everyone who had comments and suggestions.

Yana

Re: XPath 2.0 Path

Posted by Christopher Oliver <re...@verizon.net>.
I tried this patch and it seems to work. However, unless I'm missing
something obvious, the XmlObject and XmlCursor API's for evaluating
xpath and xquery expressions are too limited to utilize the full
capabilities of the underlying XQuery/XPath engine. Specifically, there
are no interfaces for:

1) Declaring namespace prefixes
2) Adding xpath extension functions
3) Declaring xpath variables

(1) through (3) above are very easy to do when using Saxon standalone,
but unfortunately impossible when used in conjunction with XmlBeans.

Would it make sense to add additional methods to the XmlOptions class to
support the above, or do you have other ideas?

Thanks and regards,

Chris