Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de> on 2008/06/13 16:44:04 UTC

Venti as storage backend

Hi folks,

I'm currently thinking of using venti instead of the filesystem
as storage backend. For those who dont know it yet:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venti

My idea is to take the fsfs backend as template and change it
that way:

* some table list holds an mapping between mappings of the
  revision-IDs and venti keys.
* for reading, the venti key for some revision is fetched from
  that table and the file is downloaded from venti into a local
  cache.
* on commit, the new revision file is uploaded to venti and the
  returned key added to the table.

Everything else, IMHO, should remain the same.
(ah, perhaps the same w/ the revrops files)

What do you think about that approach ?

cu

Re: Venti as storage backend

Posted by Enrico Weigelt <we...@metux.de>.
* Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com> wrote:

> >What do you think about that approach ?
>
> What problems are you trying to solve with venti?

It's just a very fine storage for long living archives :)

And I'm currently working on an cloud'ed implementation,
maybe someday I'll even provide venti-SAN's ;-)

cu

Re: Venti as storage backend

Posted by Blair Zajac <bl...@orcaware.com>.
Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I'm currently thinking of using venti instead of the filesystem
> as storage backend. For those who dont know it yet:
>
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venti
>
> My idea is to take the fsfs backend as template and change it
> that way:
>
> * some table list holds an mapping between mappings of the
>   revision-IDs and venti keys.
> * for reading, the venti key for some revision is fetched from
>   that table and the file is downloaded from venti into a local
>   cache.
> * on commit, the new revision file is uploaded to venti and the
>   returned key added to the table.
>
> Everything else, IMHO, should remain the same.
> (ah, perhaps the same w/ the revrops files)
>

> What do you think about that approach ?

What problems are you trying to solve with venti?

Blair