Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Winfried <co...@free.fr> on 2015/04/13 12:22:34 UTC

Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Hello

I'm using an old e-mail client that doesn't support UTF-8, which means that
any incoming e-mails that used UTF-8 has all its accented characters turned
into garbage.

I was wondering if SpamAssasin could be configured to convert UTF-8 e-mails
into ISO-8859-1 prior to sanitization?

If not, does someone know of a POP3 proxy (Windows or Linux) that I could
add to the mix?

Thank you.

Re: Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Posted by Philip Prindeville <ph...@redfish-solutions.com>.
On Apr 15, 2015, at 7:07 PM, @lbutlr <kr...@kreme.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2015, at 09:03, John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org> wrote:
>> The proper place for that sort of thing would be the tool that does final delivery to the user's mailbox.
>
> There is no proper place for that.

No, it’s not.  But Mimedefang is.

-Philip

Re: Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Posted by "@lbutlr" <kr...@kreme.com>.

--
LOOSE TEETH DON'T NEED MY HELP Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF16

Re: Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Mon, 13 Apr 2015, Winfried wrote:

> I was wondering if SpamAssasin could be configured to convert UTF-8
> e-mails into ISO-8859-1 prior to sanitization?

No. That isn't SA's job. It is a scanning tool. Please don't try to turn
it into a swiss army knife.

See if there are some options in your MTA's delivery chain for desired
mailbox encoding. The proper place for that sort of thing would be the
tool that does final delivery to the user's mailbox.

   I'm seriously considering getting one of those bright-orange prison
   overalls and stencilling PASSENGER on the back. Along with the paper
   slippers, I ought to be able to walk right through security.
                                              -- Brian Kantor in a.s.r
  Today: Thomas Jefferson's 272nd Birthday

Re: Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.eu>.
Winfried skrev den 2015-04-13 12:22:

> I'm using an old e-mail client that doesn't support UTF-8, which means
> that
> any incoming e-mails that used UTF-8 has all its accented characters
> turned
> into garbage.

+1

> I was wondering if SpamAssasin could be configured to convert UTF-8
> e-mails
> into ISO-8859-1 prior to sanitization?

not as i know, if you asked how to convert from latin-1 to unicode it
could safely be done, but the other way around is only safe if origin
used a latin 1 terminal to write on

> If not, does someone know of a POP3 proxy (Windows or Linux) that I
> could
> add to the mix?

if one like to make it work it could convert to html so its html
entities, with does not need any unicode support at all

make this hint to the sender could solve it :=)

> Thank you.

using chrome v42 here on windows 8.1 64bit works for me, but if it needs
to be a mail client try thunderbird

Re: Can SpamAssasin convert UTF8 into ISO-8859-1?

Posted by Reindl Harald <h....@thelounge.net>.

Am 13.04.2015 um 12:22 schrieb Winfried:
> Hello
>
> I'm using an old e-mail client that doesn't support UTF-8, which means that
> any incoming e-mails that used UTF-8 has all its accented characters turned
> into garbage.

honestly change the mail client, we have 2015 now

> I was wondering if SpamAssasin could be configured to convert UTF-8 e-mails
> into ISO-8859-1 prior to sanitization?

besides that no MTA / filter should magnle incoming mail to not break
signatures and so on it's technically impossible to convert UTF8 in a
sane way to ISO-8859-1 because it supports a lot of chars which are not
available and that's the purpose for UTF8

> If not, does someone know of a POP3 proxy (Windows or Linux) that I could
> add to the mix?

no