Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Shasirekha Engala <sh...@patni.com> on 2006/03/30 09:20:29 UTC

Problem opening application in more than one browser

Hi
  There is a struts application. If  the application is opened in more than
one browser  and is tested it is throwing exception.  Is there any solution
for this.

Shasi

Re: Problem opening application in more than one browser

Posted by Hey Nony Moose <he...@liveonthe.net>.
Shasirekha Engala wrote:

>  There is a struts application. If  the application is opened in more than
>one browser  and is tested it is throwing exception.  Is there any solution
>for this.

(Can anyone check me on this and fix up my more grievous technical errors?)
Yes, there are many solutions available, but I dont think that any are
trivial to implement.
You probably are looking at a well-known problem common to web
applications in that it's the browser's responsibility to differentiate
itself from other instances of itself on a PC with regard to incoming
and outgoing http messages to and from the server.
For IE, new browsers started from the Start menu or Desktop are unique
instances of IE and hence (by unneccessary programmatic consequence)
yield different http sessions with the server, and hence might as well
be browsers opened on a different PC altogether (safe to open multiple
windows).  New IE browser instances started by Ctrl-N or File-New-Window
or RightClick-OpenInANewWindow actually open a new window *sharing* the
same instance of IE and (by unneccessary programmatic consequence)
*share* a http session to the server, so the server cannot without
programmatic mechanisms distinguish the two browser windows from each
other.  You get hideous session state tangles.
All new windows or tabs in Firefox share the same instance and (by
unneccessary programmatic consequence) *share* the same http sessions
with the server, so are again indistinguishable to a server that employs
no deliberate mechanism to separate them.  Mozilla shares this behaviour
but is a different code-base, so you can run Mozilla and Firefox on a
single box and they won't share session state between each other's
instances, only amongst their own.
SO
If you want to be able to survive (let alone distinguish between) having
different browser windows opened on a single box, I don't believe that
it is yet possible to avoid including a mechanism like upkeeping window
tracing tokens (of which there are various implementations favoured and
described here and there on the net) in the server app to deliberately
detect and defuse this situation.
try googleing on the topic ...

Re: Problem opening application in more than one browser

Posted by ra...@tcs.com.
Hi,
        Are you using the new browser instance or getting a new window by
using the 'RightClick - Open in new Window' ?  If you are using a
different browser instance, you might get error if you are not using the
context related information properly. If you are using  'RightClick - Open
in new Window', the problem can be because of improper handling of session
related information. Just check if this could be of any help for you.

Thanks and Regards,
Rajasekhar Cherukuri

"Shasirekha Engala" <sh...@patni.com>
03/30/2006 12:50 PM
Please respond to
"Struts Users Mailing List" <us...@struts.apache.org>

"Struts \(E-mail\)" <us...@struts.apache.org>
cc

Subject
Problem opening application in more than one browser

Hi
  There is a struts application. If  the application is opened in more
than
one browser  and is tested it is throwing exception.  Is there any
solution
for this.

Shasi

ForwardSourceID:NT0001129E

Notice: The information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us by reply e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. Thank you