Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Thomas Eisengarten <ei...@pro-net.de> on 2000/11/29 16:28:16 UTC

apache-php and pthread

hello,
i've searched the internet but i don't find any hints about my problem - so
i write to this list.
i write an extension for php wich dynamicly loads an .so. this .so creates
some pthreds which communicate with an other server. the creation of the
thread does not work and the apache hangs. if i use php as a standalone
executable it works fine. do i need any special attributes or somthing else
to create a thread using pthreads in combination with apache?!

thanx

thomas eisengarten

Re: apache-php and pthread

Posted by rb...@covalent.net.
This depends on the operating system.  Threads and Apache should work fine
on any non-linux platform.  Because of how Linux deals with threads,
creating threads on linux can cause Apache to behave very strangely.

Ryan

On Wed, 29 Nov 2000, Thomas Eisengarten wrote:

> hello,
> i've searched the internet but i don't find any hints about my problem - so
> i write to this list.
> i write an extension for php wich dynamicly loads an .so. this .so creates
> some pthreds which communicate with an other server. the creation of the
> thread does not work and the apache hangs. if i use php as a standalone
> executable it works fine. do i need any special attributes or somthing else
> to create a thread using pthreads in combination with apache?!
>
> thanx
>
> thomas eisengarten

406 29th St.
San Francisco, CA 94131

AW: apache-php and pthread

Posted by Thomas Eisengarten <ko...@eisengarten.de>.
it's linux glibc-2.x.x - i must take a deeper look if i again at work. i
will try to link apache with libpthreads -hope this works.
thanx a lot.

thomas eisengarten

Which OS?  If you are using an OS that uses glibc-2.1.x you are going to
have to link libpthreads into Apache or none of this will work.  Doing a
dlopen() from a binary that is not linked against pthreads of a shared
library that is linked against pthreads tickles a nasty bug in glibc.

-Rasmus

Re: apache-php and pthread

Posted by Rasmus Lerdorf <ra...@apache.org>.