Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> on 2005/11/15 20:10:56 UTC

Volunteers Needed

There are a lot of new intrastructure changes going on.  One major
development is the advent of Solaris "zones."  The Struts project is
already making use of these zones and I think we should too.  I am not
up to speed on everything but I am working on it.  The problem ... not
enough time in the day.

We need a few volunteers who are willing to work on upgrading the
website build procedure.  Right now our automated procedure builds but
it doesn't deploy.  I'd also like to see if we could deploy the
example apps on one of the new zones.  Finally, it might be nice to
see if we could build the website using Maven.

I'm not at all familiar with Maven but I've seen enough to want to
give it a try.  I also think that building the website with Maven (or
Maven2) would be a good opportunity for everyone to get familiar with
Maven before deciding on migrating the rest of the build to Maven.

I am willing to put in some time on this but its a massive job and
things are very busy for me lately.  If there are one or two people
who want to help I am willing to do my part.  It would be great if
some of the Struts team could pitch in since they just did this
excercise themselves but I don't want to volunteer them.

You don't need to be a committer to help.  You just need plenty of spare time.

sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I think it's committers and invited guests. As for reposting messages from
> there to here, it'd probably be best to check first with the authors of
> those messages, or at least with the list, but I doubt there would be a
> problem.

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll just send the relevant messages
directly to the Tobago guys instead of posting here.  They are part of
our incubator and they will be committers soon if they aren't already
so that should be fine.

>  Martin Cooper

sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Martin Cooper <ma...@apache.org>.
Sorry, I just saw the bottom part of this. See comments below.

On 11/15/05, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Bernd,
>
> I don't know much about Maven. I am reading up on it right now. So
> far from what I have read I agree with you that the site is probably
> last. There are some people on this list who are trying to work on a
> Maven script for MyFaces so we should probably check in with them and
> see where they are.
>
> Forrest is kind of annoying. In the end I bet we end up having to
> redo most of the website anyways. I'm not talking about the
> autogenerated stuff (javadocs, etc.) Obviously maven takes care of
> those. But the component documentation, news, etc. will have to be
> ported over.
>
> There is a site-dev mailing list that covers all things infrastructure
> (site-dev@apache.org). Its not available in the archives

Um, no. The site-dev@ list is for discussion of of an ASF-wide site build
and staging server. The infrastructure@ list is the place for all things
infrastructure.

@Martin Cooper: Is the site-dev list restricted to committers? Is it

--
Martin Cooper

Sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Bernd,

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Sean,

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
Bernd,

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
Hello Sean,

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Bernd Bohmann <be...@atanion.com>.
you must not change the directory structure, but if you want all
advantages of maven you should. In tobago we had a directory structure
like myfaces. But during the move to maven we have realised that a
complete change of the directory structure is necessary.

please look at the svn of tobago and look at the changlog report in
Project Reports. Most of the changes are maven driven.

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Arvid Hülsebus <ar...@atanion.com>.
Hello!

No, Maven 2 doesn't require JDK 1.5.

I played around with a small XSLT to convert the MyFaces/Forrest XDoc
documents into Maven XDoc documents. The DTD

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/maven/maven-1/plugins/trunk/xdoc/src/dtd/maven-xdoc.dtd

is slightly different. You can the attached files into
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/myfaces/forrest/trunk/content/ plus
the 'dtd' and 'entity' from
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/forrest/trunk/main/webapp/resources/schema/
into a local temporary 'resource' directory and run ant. See the
xmlcatalog element in the build file. (I failed to either disable DTD
checking or attach an archive with the necessary files)

This will create a 'converted' directory with the new files. For testing
purposes I just copied these files into
http://atanion.net/repos/asf/tobago/trunk/tobago-core/src/site/xdoc and run

   mvn site

inside the tobago-core directory. Currently, generating the site inside
the Tobago root directory doesn't work due to

   http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-1455

The generated files will end up inside the 'target/site' directory. Far
from perfect but a starting point...

Regards,
Arvid

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> I'm not going to try to convince you.  :)  But I've already worked on
> one Maven build without changing the project structure.  It's not
> something I'm going volunteer to do again.

Well with SVN all things are possible.  Once I understand the benefits
of Maven2 I might feel more inclined to reorganize things (yet again.)
 Maybe for now we can set up some svn:externals that simulate the
desired structure.  That could be a handy way for several of us to
work on things at the same time.

> Take a look at Tobago's build, and see what you think.  Better yet,
> try it out, assuming you've installed Maven 2 already.  (I had to
> switch to JDK 1.5 to build it, after that 'mvn install' did its thing
> and it's now in my local repository ready to go.)  I'm still playing
> with the example app.  Wow!

Will do.  JDK 1.5 is for Tobago right?  Maven2 doesn't require 1.5 does it?

> Wendy

sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I figured since the Struts Maven effort was relatively recent that it
> may have been a conscious decision related to the technology.  It
> sounds like the main volunteers (you and Wendy) just didn't have the
> familiarity with it.

It didn't exist.  Maven 2 was just released a month ago.

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
> Colin already mentioned this:  It's likely that to get the full
> benefits of Maven, you will have to do some restructuring.  Do you see
> that being a problem?

Depends on what kind of "restructuring."  I have just finished reading
up on the suggested directory structure.  IMO its kind of lame.  I
prefer our current structure and I understand its possible to keep
your directory structure.

I'm open to changes but I can't say I am looking forward to
restructuring the directories just to satisfy Maven.

> Wendy

sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 11/15/05, Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was hoping you would be able to help!  Can I ask why Struts doesn't
> use M2?  In other words, are there reasons why we should not be
> considering it?

IMO you should definitely go with Maven 2 for MyFaces.

Struts isn't using it because no one has contributed build files yet.
:) The existing m1 build works, and converting to m2 hasn't been a
priority.  I've been working on it here and there...  I have a few of
the Struts jars building with m2 (the ones I needed for the m2 Struts
Blank archetype that's in the sandbox) and the m2 build for Shale is
in progress.  (I think there is a conversion tool in the works, I'm
hoping that will take most of the pain out of the process.)

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by Sean Schofield <se...@gmail.com>.
James,

I figured since the Struts Maven effort was relatively recent that it
may have been a conscious decision related to the technology.  It
sounds like the main volunteers (you and Wendy) just didn't have the
familiarity with it.

Since most of us are not familiar with Maven at all, there doesn't
seem to be any harm in jumping right into Maven2.

Looking forward to your help on this when this gets rolling and you
get some time.

sean

Re: Volunteers Needed

Posted by James Mitchell <ja...@mac.com>.