Posted to users@directory.apache.org by Juergen Aschenbrenner <ju...@gmail.com> on 2007/05/23 12:19:51 UTC

migratiting to ApacheDS

Hi all,

In order to develop and test components offline I am currently trying to
migrate a directory from the network to my local machine using ApacheDS 1.0.
Though it seems that ApacheDS does not fully understand the schema used by
the network directory. Relatively new to the concept of modelling a
directory I learned that it should it be possible to customize or extend a
schema in order to migrate or replicate schemas.

Could someone here in this mailing list give me a hint how to do this.

Thanks in advance

Jürgen

Re: migratiting to ApacheDS

Posted by Emmanuel Lecharny <el...@gmail.com>.
Hi Juergen !

as Stefan says, using apacheDS 1.5 is much easier. Plus the fact we
have a serious issue in ADS 1.0.1 with Schema adding (we are still
struggling with 1.0.2 release...) should dribve you to use ADS 1.5.
FYI, ADS 1.5 is also much faster than ADS 1.0 (I would say 2 times
faster, at least)

Note that ADS 1.5 needs Java 5.

Emmanuel

On 5/23/07, Stefan Zoerner <st...@labeo.de> wrote:
> Hi Jürgen!
>
> Juergen Aschenbrenner wrote:
>
> > In order to develop and test components offline I am currently trying to
> > migrate a directory from the network to my local machine using ApacheDS
> > 1.0.
>
> I would recommend to use ApacheDS 1.5, although it is not a stable
> release yet. But the schema subsystem is much more powerful, and
> extending or changing the schema is much easier with it.
>
> > Though it seems that ApacheDS does not fully understand the schema used by
> > the network directory. Relatively new to the concept of modelling a
> > directory I learned that it should it be possible to customize or extend a
> > schema in order to migrate or replicate schemas.
> >
> > Could someone here in this mailing list give me a hint how to do this.
>
> A possible starting point on how to learn to add new schema elements to
> the ApacheDS 1.5 server is here:
>
> http://directory.apache.org/apacheds/1.5/add-your-first-elements-to-the-schema.html
>
> Do you have more information about the missing schema elements? What
> type of network directory do you use (ApacheDS is a network server as
> well, btw.)? Perhaps, one of us can support you with your task.
>
> I hope this helps, Greetings from Hamburg,
>      Stefan

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com