Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com> on 2005/08/05 10:32:34 UTC

[exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Brett Porter wrote:

>> * Would it be a good starting point (if so I'll create a patch for the
>> code I've cleaned up and removed the Ant specifics from)?
>

> I think so.

(This email with a .zip attachment does not seem to get through to the
list. And since there's no component for exec in bugzilla, I've uploaded
the file to
http://www.protocol7.com/tmp/commons-exec-initial-20050802.zip instead.
If I should send it somehow different, please enlighten me.)

Attached is the initial contribution, I've zipped it since it's largish.
Note that there are tons of problems with this code (e.g. design issues,
dependency on JCL, lack of unit tests/javadoc) but IMHO it's a good
enough starting point. It uses maven2 for building and builds with the
latest SVN version of maven2.

If you have any issues with the code, maven2 setup, patch or anything,
please tell me and I'll get it fixed!

/niklas

------------------
Niklas Gustavsson
niklas@protocol7.com
http://www.protocol7.com

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks! I'll add it to the sandbox shortly and see if there is anything
I can do.

- Brett

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.
Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

> Kev Jackson wrote:
>
>> I'm not a fan of maven, so I'll write up a quick build file for it,
>> I'll also look into javadoc/unit tests as soon as I have some time
>> (perhaps tomorrow)
>

> Great! With regards for the unit tests I personally think that the
> first step should be to refactor the launcher so that they do not
> directly call Runtime.exec(). That currently makes unit testing hard.

Ok, when I have time I'll look into it - I'm currently bogged down with
some very dull development for 10+ hours a day, so I've neither the time
nor inclination to spend on re-factoring etc right now (I thought I'd
get time this weekend - I was wrong :( )  Sorry for no contributions,
I'll try and get something to you as soon as I've reduced my workload a
little

Kev

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
> Niklas, I made a couple of small structural changes, fleshed out the
> POM, and added a front page on the site:
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/exec/

Yeah, the POM was a bit... limited :-)

Excellent, I'll sync up right away so that I can get going on the
development.

/niklas

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Kev Jackson wrote:

> I'm not a fan of maven, so I'll write up a quick build file for it,
> I'll also look into javadoc/unit tests as soon as I have some time
> (perhaps tomorrow)

I've autogenerated the Ant build script for you. You'll need m2 to do
the site at this point.

Niklas, I made a couple of small structural changes, fleshed out the
POM, and added a front page on the site:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/exec/

Pushed up build #1:
http://cvs.apache.org/repository/org.apache.commons/jars/

Ok, I'll take a closer look and provide more feedback.

Thanks!

- Brett

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Kev Jackson <ke...@it.fts-vn.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Niklas Gustavsson wrote:
>

>>Should a CLA/grant be needed, I would of course be happy to work that out.
>>Would a CLA be needed for future patches or would attaching them to a
>>Bugzilla entry be acceptable?
>

> If you are going to contribute on an on-going basis, as CLA would be best,
> yes.

Happy to oblige :-)

I'll sign the agreement (http://www.apache.org/licenses/icla.txt) and
fax it to ASF. Should I also get the CCLA signed while I'm at it?
Contributions I make to Apache projects are not part of my job, but I
understand that the CCLA might be required anyway.

/niklas

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
I can confirm that Niklas' CLA has been received and recorded by the ASF.

Cheers,
Brett

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Hi

I was was writing a reply to Noel's message but Brett beat me to it.

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:
>>Grey areas, but the larger the contributions that more important that we get
>>a CLA.  And, as you noted, the o.a.c.e.launcher package was created by him,
>>and is not just a set of patches.
>
> Actually, I thought originally this was an original contribution, but on
> closer inspection I've found that it is also derived from another set of
> Ant classes.

That's true. The only new code in my patch are the unit tests and the
pom.xml. Everything else is more or less refactored Ant code.

/niklas

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>Brett Porter wrote:
>

>>"A copy of several classes from the Apache Ant codebase, restructured
>>into a reusable library without dependence on Ant itself."
>>

>Sounds fine.  Now that we know the history, even the original commit comment
>makes sense, but when you put the original against the e-mail archives
>(which talk about "initial contribution") and you don't know the history, it
>isn't as clear as your revision.

Done (yay SVN - would have required an admin in CVS).

- Brett

RE: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>>Ok, do I need to edit the commit message?
>>

>If you don't mind, yes thanks.

Ok, I could use some guidance on this. The original message was:

r230452 | brett | 2005-08-05 22:21:46 +1000 (Fri, 05 Aug 2005) | 3 lines

Submitted by: Niklas Gustavsson
initial import of refactored code from the Ant Exec tasks.

What areas did you find this deficient that I can improve it?

How about:

"A copy of several classes from the Apache Ant codebase, restructured
into a reusable library without dependence on Ant itself."

>>Is a CLA from Niklas (and CCLA if necessary) plus modification
>>of the original commit message to indicate origin sufficient?
>>

>Seems so.  From what you seem to have tracked down, everything is turning
>out to be really patches to a variety of Ant packages.

Thanks, I'll follow up on this, and post to Jakarta PMC when it is
received in iclas.txt.

- Brett

RE: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> > I re-read the commit messages, and no it was not entirely
> > clear, at least not in terms of the clarity I'd want for
> > IP clearance.  The concern is tracking provenance.
> Ok, do I need to edit the commit message?

If you don't mind, yes thanks.

> Is [re-doing everything starting with svn cp] necessary
> if Niklas has a CLA on file?

Probably not worth it.  Just make the comments clear.  :-)

> > as you noted, the o.a.c.e.launcher package was created by him,
> > and is not just a set of patches.

> Actually, I thought originally this was an original contribution,
> but on closer inspection I've found that it is also derived from
> another set of Ant classes.

:-)  See, this is why we really want to make provenance clear.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Noel J. Bergman wrote:

>I re-read the commit messages, and no it was not entirely clear, at least
>not in terms of the clarity I'd want for IP clearance.  The concern is
>tracking provenance.

Ok, do I need to edit the commit message?

>Ant is in Subversion.  If these are patched versions of Ant code, why didn't
>you use `svn cp` to initially populate the tree, with appropriate comments,
>then apply the patches?

Only some new components are in there, but according to their dev list
they have voted on moving the main repository (that includes this code)
in the next couple of weeks.

Is this necessary if Niklas has a CLA on file?

>Grey areas, but the larger the contributions that more important that we get
>a CLA.  And, as you noted, the o.a.c.e.launcher package was created by him,
>and is not just a set of patches.

Actually, I thought originally this was an original contribution, but on
closer inspection I've found that it is also derived from another set of
Ant classes.

So, the question now is what is necessary to clear this up? Is a CLA
from Niklas (and CCLA if necessary) plus modification of the original
commit message to indicate origin sufficient? On reading the IP
clearance document, it appears so.

- Brett

RE: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Brett Porter wrote:

> The "contribution" comes almost entirely from the Ant codebase. Sorry if
> I didn't make that clear from the commit message.

I re-read the commit messages, and no it was not entirely clear, at least
not in terms of the clarity I'd want for IP clearance.  The concern is
tracking provenance.

Ant is in Subversion.  If these are patched versions of Ant code, why didn't
you use `svn cp` to initially populate the tree, with appropriate comments,
then apply the patches?

> Niklas is not a yet a committer, so doesn't have a CLA. I was under the
> impression his contribution was goverened by the same rules as any patch
> submitted to the mailing list.

Grey areas, but the larger the contributions that more important that we get
a CLA.  And, as you noted, the o.a.c.e.launcher package was created by him,
and is not just a set of patches.

> I was also under the impression that the sandbox was equipped to house
> code in the same way as the incubator as official releases are not made
> from there.

Absolutely not.  The sandbox is not a substitute incubator.

	--- Noel

Re: [exec][patch] commons-exec initial contrib

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
The "contribution" comes almost entirely from the Ant codebase. Sorry if
I didn't make that clear from the commit message.

The exceptions:
- changed structure (merged classes such as ExecTask and Exec,
refactored out environment).
- addition of the o.a.c.e.launcher package which was created by Niklas.

I gave it a once over before committing it.

Niklas is not a yet a committer, so doesn't have a CLA. I was under the
impression his contribution was goverened by the same rules as any patch
submitted to the mailing list. I have asked that he use bugzilla in future.